Parents seem to teach their kids nothing these days!

sausage roll

I think the parents of today had a strict upbringing, and have probably sworn they wouldn't bring their kids up that way, but the trouble is they have gone totally in the opposite direction, and now that is why the kids of today get away with everything.

I used to get a smack as well, and a cane was kept in the corner as a threat, not that it was ever used. A smack didn't do me any harm and I think I've turned out ok. Discipline has gone out the window, and that's why today's generation are turning in to thugs! I'll get off my soap box now! lol

Don't start the to smack or not to smack debate Tigger!

We had that on here a few weeks ago and it created havoc. :giggle:

Problem is that I've got oneGrandkid ,thats been diagnosed as hyperactive ,due to some of the E numbers in sweets. How many other kids are kicking up with E number related problems .

It's been known since the 70's and they report it now as if it's new news. Like I said above, I had this issue and my parents dealt with it by looking at what I ate and drank and avoiding it. It's realy not very hard to do with a little bit of effort if they put their minds to it.

I think the parents of today had a strict upbringing, and have probably sworn they wouldn't bring their kids up that way, but the trouble is they have gone totally in the opposite direction, and now that is why the kids of today get away with everything.

Really? Nothing to do with the boomers who came of age in the 60s, progressive educational policies from the 70s, "Fatcher", institutionalised welfarism, the breakdown of the family unit, the State as the parent?

There will always be parents who don't control their kids - when I worked in a shop 15 years ago some would stand there and watch their offspring climbing all over the shelves and displays like it was a playground.

On the other hand there's a lot of parents these days that are excessively protective and don't give their children anywhere near enough freedom to go outside and play as they should do in case they get abducted/hurt/photgraphed.

From quite a young age I was always outside with my friends and you learn how to behave while doing that. Now it's quite common to see kids nearly in their teens that aren't allowed out and are driven round to their friends houses for pre arranged play - just going round and knocking on someone's door to see if they want to come out would be alient to them.

On about E numbers, iv always been convinced this is just government brain washing. Telling us of health risks to our children due to these sweets ect.

I am no where near the oldest one, infact most likely one of the youngest and i ate sweets with 'E numbers' in and im just fine, i didt bounce off the walls, commit crimes or sit around on a games console all day.

Even now, i can drink a full can of Relentless (equivalent to a Red Bull but bigger can) and may feel slightly more awake, due the tonnes of sugar thats init but its not send me off my rocker.

On about E numbers, iv always been convinced this is just government brain washing. Telling us of health risks to our children due to these sweets ect.

I am no where near the oldest one, infact most likely one of the youngest and i ate sweets with 'E numbers' in and im just fine, i didt bounce off the walls, commit crimes or sit around on a games console all day.

Even now, i can drink a full can of Relentless (equivalent to a Red Bull but bigger can) and may feel slightly more awake, due the tonnes of sugar thats init but its not send me off my rocker.

Take two children from the same parents and feed one of them tartrazine and sunset yellow laced sweets and the other natural colouring laced sweets.

If you then stand back and watch you will see the difference.

Not all children have this effect, but enough do have a reaction to azo dyes that you'd be nuts to not suggest it shouldn't be in a childs diet.

I don't think it affects adults in the same way, but it really does get the kids.

Take two children from the same parents and feed one of them tartrazine and sunset yellow laced sweets and the other natural colouring laced sweets.

If you then stand back and watch you will see the difference.

Not all children have this effect, but enough do have a reaction to azo dyes that you'd be nuts to not suggest it shouldn't be in a childs diet.

I don't think it affects adults in the same way, but it really does get the kids.

Yeah i agree there is a difference, i can see a massive difference when my sisters kids have a glass of coke as appose to a glass of juice but the way it is portrayed in the media youd think E numbers are kid a class A drug for kids, when really its not.

One thing i find true is what me and partner were talking about the other day, is if you ban something from a child from a young age, i.e sweets then they will just crave it more. Same thing goes for parents who dont introduce their children to alcohol, i know this may sound like bad parenting but many times iv seen kids when they hit their 18th birthday and end up putting themself in hospital with alcohol poisoning because they have been banned from it all their lifes and now they have the freedom to do what they want, they have no limits.

• Like 2

I`d agree with that. I was gradually allowed a small amount of alcohol from a sip of my mums wine to, as I got older obviously, a glass of beer at xmas. By the time I turned 18 it wasnt anything new or exciting to me, i`d learnt a long time before my 18th birthday how it can affect you. On the flip side, i`d have mates who would get mullered as soon as they had the chance because they were never allowed it.

Agree with the alcohol comments.

On the E-Numbers, they really are like crack for kids, well the two I mentioned anyway.

Some of them will have little effect, but those two oranges send many kids loopy.

They did trials on this in the 80's and they were removed from kids drinks by many makers. Now times are hard the cheapest squash has it back in, which is a shame.

It's been known since the 70's and they report it now as if it's new news. Like I said above, I had this issue and my parents dealt with it by looking at what I ate and drank and avoiding it. It's realy not very hard to do with a little bit of effort if they put their minds to it.

Problem is that in our day , we parents would take responsiility for the problems this caused . Nowadays, with the Bliar/Brum event, it's a society problem . It's very like the problem with kids on alcopops. It's society - not the parents.

Problem is that in our day , we parents would take responsiility for the problems this caused . Nowadays, with the Bliar/Brum event, it's a society problem . It's very like the problem with kids on alcopops. It's society - not the parents.

The age old question of nature or nurture.

Im not a parent myself so i dont really have a leg to stand on here but iv had more then enough time and experience from helping out with my niece and nephew, from new born to now, 5yrs and 8 yrs and personally i say its down to nurture.

If it was societies fault then why isnt everyone exactly alike? Its down to the parents to show their child right and wrong, to help and give support and to make a better person of themselfs. If led astray and not given the correct guidance by the parent then a child/young adult will go their own path to destruction.

I am what i am today because of my father, being a mechanic. If my father had left me to me own devices and not sat me down at a young age and explanied to me how variable valve timing works i would of had no interest (i think about 8 when he told me that lol)

My opinion but i say its down the parents

• Like 1

My opinion but i say its down the parents

And society . Parents, that say it's down to society to solve their problem kids, not them . I came into a street a good few years ago where the problems were caused by out of control kids. We woke up the councle and Police and lo and behold, with the threat of council/Police action , the kids started to behave. I've had one kid starting to cause problems, til I had words with the parents, and it all stopped. Unless society gets behind those trying to stop the out of control kids, no actin wil be taken . I've personally been threatened an attacked , had one car vandalised , had almost a full breakfast menu thrown at my house(sausage & eggs, no bacon ,unfortunately) ,and had my life made miserable . But once society wakes up and starts to threaten the parents of the "yoofs" , then action is taken to control the kids . Now with this behind us ,we live in peace . ( But now, my daughter has married into a biker lot - does this make a difference).

What annoys me is that parents arrive in our office and just abandon their kids. They crawl all over the floor, scream, shout and generally misbehave. Can't wait for the day there's an incident as it might teach some of them a lesson.

• Like 1

What annoys me is that parents arrive in our office and just abandon their kids. They crawl all over the floor, scream, shout and generally misbehave. Can't wait for the day there's an incident as it might teach some of them a lesson.

Warning stickers and 3 phase shelves should do the trick.

But i am coming from a bias view here, i have no intention to have children, ever.

They are just not for me, yes im only young and maybe ill change my mind one day but there are people the same age as me that have two kids, im just like, what a waste of your life!

Dont get me wrong children are little rays of sunshine to the parent but there are alot more things on offer before parenthood comes along.

Some of my friends (mainly females obviously) actually see it as a goal to settle down, get married and have kids, that to me is something to do when you have ran out of other things to do. Im too greedy to have children yet, for example i will happily spend (and want) to spend 5 hours cleaning my car, i cant do that if i have a child. I want to see some of the world, im not loaded so only 'some' will do, want spend all my disposable money on my car and myself, not a snotty little kid.

• Like 2

I feel exactly the same. Kids are fine as long as I can hand them back. I'm 52, I had no intention of getting married or having kids. I do what I want when I want, I spend what I want when I want. I don't owe anybody anything, all that I have is mine and paid for. I know that is probably a selfish point of view, but I am a loner, and I don't need anybody in my life. I can have nice things within reason, like my new car, without having to think about kids, they cost you a fortune, and I don't have the patience. My time is my own thank you very much! lol

There was an article in magazine i read today, they projected that a child (from bith to 21 years old) will cost you £217,934...thats more then a Ferrari 458!!

I would pick the Ferrari every time, or my vRS, no contest!

A Ferrari isn't going to wipe your arse though. You better save enough for a one way ticket to dignitas

Offspring wouldt wipe my arse either, they stick me in a home so some other miserable sod can do it :D

• Like 1

Our 2yr old daughter has the best manners that she puts even most adults to shame.

We havent had to beat it into her, just thank her and remind her to say thanks/sorry etc and we've always spoken to her like an adult - no baby/kid speak. Even if she forgets she'll come back to you and tell you rarely needing prompting.

It's not really hard to do, so why are there so many rude kids around?

• Like 2

Not really a good reason to bring a life into the world, IMO.

Can you think of a better one?

Why did people seem to have larger families in times when it was much harder to feed them all?

Nowadays, it seems perfectly logical to have kids to get free money from the government.

• Like 1