Octavia 1.4tsi. Any issues?

Hi Guys, I have always wanted an Octavia after driving my mates taxi for a while. Finally I am in a possition to buy a nice one and was thinking of the 1.4tsi, maybe just under one year old. I do low milage so don't think the extra cost of the diesel is justified. Could I ask if there are any known issues with the 1.4tsi engine? I treat cars very gently and intend to keep it a good few years so would the 1.4tsi be a good choice and are there any major expences that might crop up over time. Thanks in advance.

I have had mine for 18 months, and it's coming up to its first service at about 18000 miles. Runs as sweetly now as it did the day I got it. It took about 5000 miles for the engine to settle in and produce good fuel consumption. I averaged high 30s mpg in the early days, and now average 42-43 mpg.

Like you, I am not a high mileage driver, I calculated that I would need to cover about 90K-100K miles to recoup the extra money for the deisel engine, so stuck with the petrol.

I would say that the engine is easily powerful enough for the size of the car (the same engine is, of course, also available in the Superb). The combination of supercharger and turbo means it pulls quite strongly at all revs.

the 1.4tsi is only turbo charge in the octavia, i have the 1.2tsi and it is enough for everyday use i have cover 9000 miles and fuel comsumption is improving from my 36mpg on my fuelly

Thanks guys for that. Interesting that tony says the 1.2 is OK. I was thinking that a 1.2 engine on a car this size may be too small but maybe I'm out of touch with things these days. Having looked on their web site Parkers reccomend the 1.2 tsi and it may be a little cheeper to insure? Or is the 1.4 a better bet? Thanks again.

Don't under estimate the 1.2. Times have changed.

I've driven the 1.2 TSI and was pleasantly suprised.

I recommend driving both engines before parting with your hard earned.

How does the economy compare between 1.2 and 1.4? Iirc when I test drive a couple of Renault Scenics many years ago I managed better mpg from the 1.9 than the 1.5 as the 1.5 had to be worked very hard to make the same progress.

Just a thought.

After 5000 miles, my 1.4 is giving 42.5 mpg but I havnt had a really long run yet, so hopeful of a little improvement. No problem with lack of power either.

I'm just experimenting with a tankful of Shell V-power - 8p per litre more than standard NATO but I think I can feel an increase in power, or am I imagining it?

I have an estate 1.4 TSI, I have covered 21,000 no problems, just come back from lake district, with 2 adults, luggage and 100kg of dogs, no problems. Power is excellent, I regularly stick it in tiptronic and really enjoy a good blast- it even sounds great! feels like at least a normal 1.8 I'd say. Also driven the 1.2 saloon, v impressed- seriously.

Not sure if the Octavia is super charged and turbo charged, this is what I thought when I brought the car and have found several reviews and references too, although people on this forum have said differently, I'm not techy enough to tell.

I get about 42-45mpg sensible-normal driving.

I would be happy with 1.2 in saloon, 1.4 for the estate, tried the 1.6 diesel and was underwhelmed with both power and refinement.

ps also experimenting with BP ultimate, I'll update.

Edited by 1.4tsi

I've had my 1.4TSi for 10 months now. No problems at all from it. MPG is good considering I spend most of the time stuck in traffic... average around 42mpg.. On a run every now and then it will go over 50mpg.It's pokey enough to make an interesting drive, especially when the turbo kicks in. I did have concerns over the 1.4 as I downsized from an Audi A3 1.8TSi. Overall the 1.4 makes it a good car.

I`ve just bought a 1.2 tsi dsg and its excellent.Very adequate for what I need. Am taking it on a longer run on Monday and will know better what the fuel consumption is like, although the computer is showing upper 30`s..I`ve just moved from a similar engined Fabia Estate and this is simply in a different league.

I have the 1.2Tsi saloon as a company car (tight of em i know) no choice over spec etc. I have now done over 9K, mainly motorway driving, since October and am very pleased with boot space as well as its driving capabilities. Will give me 45 - 50 MPG, cuises at 80 in 6th, no problem and thats with a boot load of spares (including four 12v sealed lead acid batteries) and tools etc. This is my first Skoda and I hope not my last. I would be happy owning and running one myself..

Just coming up to 2 year's ownership. Great engine, average 40 mpg, 50 mpg poss on a run if careful. The torque makes for very relaxed driving but if you want to rev it and move along quickly then the engine is very responsive. I do c. 7000 miles a year so the petrol makes most sense compared to diesel with lower purchase price and no DMF/DPF worries - plus it is quicker than the diesel 1.6!

Thanks for all the help and comments. Decided on the 1.4 tsi after test driving one at my local Skoda dealer. Picked it up today, matalic silver, 7.5k on an 11 reg, 1st service done. Hope I've made the right choice coz most of my hard earned has gone on it. Lovely car but the electronics on newish cars worry me because I have not a clue how to fix anything involving electronics and will probadley end up paying through the nose in the long run. And that's from someone who worked in a garrage for 17 years doing everything on cars, vans and mostly trucks. But that was 25 years ago, long before the digital revolution.

It was interesting to read the experiences of 1,4 and 1,2 DSG Owners. I have a 1,2 TSI Octavia with the 7 speed Automatic double clutch gearbox under build.It is taking nearly 5 months probably my own fault for ordering all the extras.

I did test drive an estate with this engine configuration and I did notice a lag hitting the gas pedal when starting from a standing start, compared with my present 1,9 diesel Fabia estate.Although the listed figures for break horsepower (105) there is quite a difference in torque 240N.m at 1800 rpm in the diesel and 175 N.m at 4100 rpm in the 1,2. I maybe making a mistake having concerns over the differences in these engines. So it would be good to hear if anyone has had any similar experiences.

kh

Kethjohnhall

The 1.2 is a good buy, IMO, i`m impressed with it. You are quite right though re the lag from a standing start, its pronounced. Now I think that is a fault with the 105 engine. I`ve just moved up from a Fabia manual with the 105bhp and that had the lag as well (well commented on in the Fabia threads). If pulling off from a roundabout, it seems to help, if you drop into sport mode and floor it until you get going. Dont panic its liveable with, just takes a bit of getting used to..

Keep looking forward to your delivery and enjoy it. You wont be disappointed

• 1 month later...