pd130 turbo upgrade - 150 straight swap?

Right guys, the turbo on my pd130 (ASZ) is on it's way out, so am looking into the usual 'if it's broke, may as well upgrade it'. And I often wonder why I have no cash haha.

I've been looking around on here and the other usual VAG forums but can't seem to see a yes/no answer if a turbo from an pd150 ARL engine (still the Garrett GT1749V, but i assume different internals?) will literally be a straight swap regarding pipes/downpipe stud fitment etc.? Has anyone here done this by any chance, and if it isn't a straight swap can anybody help me work out what i'd need to fit one? I know Jabba do the PD turbo kits, which uses the 150 turbo, but i don't have the cash at the moment to go for the full package, so i'm just wondering if i bought one whether i could fit it myself for now, and run it ok with my revo stage 1 map for now, and then save up for the fmic/remap etc at a later date.

Of course if it does fit I may well also look into a hybrid 150 :sweat: £££££££

I know this is quite specific, but I've become a bit confused with all the combinations of turbos. Any help in the right direction would be massively appreciated!

i had a pd150 golf and when i thought my turbo had gone i was looking around for an aftermarket one not an upgrade just not one in a vw box and a few sites listed the 130 and 150 as the same turbo. i know it doesn't 100% answer your question but i always thought they was the same it was other bits that gave the higher power

Guest BigJase88

Yes same fitment...

You'll need to clock the turbo 180 degrees but its simple.... Basically remove bolts turn 180 degrees then bolt back up

i had a pd150 golf and when i thought my turbo had gone i was looking around for an aftermarket one not an upgrade just not one in a vw box and a few sites listed the 130 and 150 as the same turbo. i know it doesn't 100% answer your question but i always thought they was the same it was other bits that gave the higher power

This sounds about right. I believe the extra power comes from the FMIC, different injectors and a different map.

Yes same fitment...

You'll need to clock the turbo 180 degrees but its simple.... Basically remove bolts turn 180 degrees then bolt back up

Shouldn't need to on an Octavia as its the same layout as the Mk4 Golf anyhow.

The only thing that is normally different between the two is the EGR pipe, it's at a different angle on the 150 turbo.

That's not the issue on the 150 and why the turbo has to be clocked. The FMIC on the Golf still has the same side pipe as the 130 as loaction goes, The chassis rail is different on the Fabia so it has to rotate to clear it.

If you took a PD130 turbo off a Golf it would still have to be clocked to fit a Fabia.

Thanks for all the replies! you can see how i had a little trouble finding a definitive answer to this!

This sounds about right. I believe the extra power comes from the FMIC, different injectors and a different map.

My thoughts exactly Vlad - some people seem to suggest slightly stronger head bolts and a slight different c/r but this could be urban myth.. not to worry for now.

Pd130 has a gt1749va, pd150 has a gt1749vb. Compress and turbine is bigger on the vb.

This was where my initial question has stemmed from - if it's the same 'body' simply housing stronger/bigger internals then in theory a straight unbolt/bolt in swap?!

Shouldn't need to on an Octavia as its the same layout as the Mk4 Golf anyhow.

The only thing that is normally different between the two is the EGR pipe, it's at a different angle on the 150 turbo.

I have been wanting to fit an egr-delete for a while so it makes sense to do this at the same time if possible! hadn't thought of that till now for some reason! :wonder:

Really? I thought the octy 130 used an smic? So should need clocked if you were to fit a 150?

It definitely is a smic on the 130, I'm not sure which route the fmic pipes take - i'd assumed the intake would still be the same side behind the bumper as the smic fitted as standard? So hopefully same orientation as standard 130? either way like you said if it's only a case of unbolt and rotate through 180, that's no biggie! Is the Fabia vrs a longitudinal mount engine rather than transverse?

Guest BigJase88

Going from what tech1e says it should be a straight fit without the need to clock it.... He knows a lot more than me :)

The TD turbo I fitted on my first vRS was off the AmD demo Golf, it's how I know it needs to be clocked as I found out mid swap and was quite relieved it was possible..lol

If your fitting an EGR delete then yes it will bolt straight up with no issues I think.