Start of rust on sills?

Washed the car yesterday and noticed that there were some black spots on the underside of the sill behine the n/s front wheel.

There were also some chippeds showing bare metal and some slight bubbling.

I've started the process of curing the spots with Krust and I'll paint over.

Are these likely to develop into full blown rust any time soon? I was planning on keeping the car another couple of years but if it's just going to start to rot I might be better to do this sooner than later.

Edited by Aspman

How old is it, how many miles has it done?

Once rust has got under the paint, even if professionally repaired it has an uncanny ability to return.

Your fix should easily last another winter so I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on it and keep the sills as clean as you can.

Not quite 5yr old and 56k miles.

Stone chips that have done it. Too late for mud flaps now :(

It not red rust yet thank goodness. Still I don't remember my Clio having this at the same age with even more miles. Maybe it had plastic sills (wings were plastic)?

Wonder if it worth putting on a coat of clear boat varnish or something like that. Shame you don't get blue waxoyl or I'd slap some of that on.

I would put on some zinc primer once you have used the Krust. That will help keep the rust out. Im surprised you have rust there as that area is sprayed with a thick anti-chip paint. Are you sure it's down to the metal and not just the colour of the anti-chip ?

I have the same on the bottoms of the front doors on my 2008 scout. Just the usual mix of off roading and lack of cleaning, but then I never expect a car to last more than 5 years.