Front end feel issues (Any help really appreciated)

Hi all, I know diagnosis over the web is near impossible, but some of you out there may have had similar issues to myself, first I will start with the car I have, its a 2001, Octavia TDI (110) Elegance.

I have recently replaced all my shocks and springs, and the problem existed before this, Also i have new rear wishbone bushes, Flywheel, clutch.

When I accelerate (but not hard) i get the feeling that the whole front of the car is Wobbling, but unless i actually steer the car there is no feel of this from the steering wheel, as it does not vibrate or judder (This only seems to happen more noticeable between 40 -65 mph)

when turning whilst holding throttle point or accelerating, it feels almost as if the front wheels are hopping slightly. (This happens at slightly different speed range of 30- 50 mph)

The car also seems less symptomatic if i turn the ASR off, but this may be in my mind.

Any ideas on what may be the cause im all ears

Many thanks

Dave

I would've said wishbone bushes but if you've had them changed recently that should rule them out.

Is the steering rack bush ok? No play in the rack as it sits on the subframe?

Also are your front wheel bearings both ok?

Is the front anti-roll bar alright, any signs of corrosion under the bushes? If it has split completely under the bushes the front end will feel really sloppy.

I have had the anti roll bar re bushed and no comment was made about the roll bar being corroded

As for wheel bearings there is no noise from them, but could be something to look into, and which steering bush are you refering to the one on the column or the ones on the actual rack

as far as the wishbone, I had the rear ones done, but not the front bushes if I remember correctly

Also does anyone know if you can replacement bushes for the steering rack

Edited by DSS199

There is an upside down U-shaped bracket with a bush in it holding the steering rack to the subframe, if the bush in that is knackered the steering rack could be moving side to side.

You can get replacement standard bushes from Skoda or Superpro and Powerflex both do uprated poly ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-Bush-Poly-Skoda-Octavia-Mk1-1U-Steering-Rack-Mount-Bush-/290681322369?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D180803365247%26ps%3D54

Might be worth checking if there is play in the front wishbone bushes too but I thought those only affected up and down movement of the hub/wheel assembly rather than movement during turning.

Would i feel symptoms of this bush being worn, as my steering wheel throughout has been quite strudy, not much sensation through it, except when leading the car into and during the turn, but feels more like it is coming from the front of the car

a bit like i have slightly egg shaped wheels, of which i know there not as the tires are relatively new, have never been flat and the wheels are in good condition

Edited by DSS199

The alignment could cause the problem and if it wasn't done after the wishbone bushes were changed then the problem could be there also the strut top mounts and bearing could be a good place to look to, depending on mileage as all my mk4 platform top mounts have been shot before 90k!

I have change the top mounts when i did the shocks and dampers, alignment im not sure about,

And i swapped the front wheels to back as one of my fronts was slightly buckled, but when i had tires done they said the fronts were good balance

I have change the top mounts when i did the shocks and dampers, alignment im not sure about,

And i swapped the front wheels to back as one of my fronts was slightly buckled, but when i had tires done they said the fronts were good balance

Have you checked to see if the weights are still on the rims? or stuck inside the rim itself. with all the cold weather it might have come off? just a thought.

When you get to garage get them to check tyres for run out on the rims. I have seen nearly new tyres run out on the rim if the pressing is bad.

If the tyre runs out it will still balance up ok if they fit enough weights, but would like to think an experienced bloke would question the need for so many.

I agree with the comment to swop tyres front to rear, this will highliight if you have a problem.

Well been to garage today:

wheel balance ok

wheel bearings ok

all suspension ok

alignment ok

so a bit stumped, only thing i have noticed is a noticeable amount of engine flex, i have changed the dog bone mount but not the upper engine mounts........ could this be my cause???

No, but they were all i the green, nearly dead on, was watching the comp when they tested it, the guy even said it wasnt worth touching, come to think of it, the alignment was probably done during the front end rebuild, i assume its the engine mount as the car was shook to bits when the DMF died

well at the time i did the shafts i had new flywheel & clutch and there was no wobble then

and on a side not its now a solid flywheel

Edited by DSS199

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with the same vehicle, front end is all wallowey in the corners and a lot of free play on centre. Inside wheel feels as though it has a mind of its own. Very noticable suspension graunchy sound turning left but not right. The car has new bottom arms, ball joints and dampers all round.

Took it down to skoda and they've reported that the front anti-roll bar and bushes are knackered and the lower wishbone outboard ball joint on the near side has a lot of play in it, which i was rather suprised about given its only 5000 miles old. Might be worth a look. My octy is 140k

• 2 weeks later...

Well having lived with this problem for a while, my front anti roll bar does require some attention i.e. bushes... but my symptoms are actually continuous i.e. when driving strainght, and affected by acceleration too (an increase in feel) but also with the clutch disengaged

No, but they were all i the green, nearly dead on, was watching the comp when they tested it, the guy even said it wasnt worth touching, come to think of it, the alignment was probably done during the front end rebuild, i assume its the engine mount as the car was shook to bits when the DMF died

So what... If you would know how many Ihave done when they were all in green and after adjustment customers felt difference. Its not about setting in green but to understand why you have to change it. I know its different topic but I want to change this myth... If you want I can set angles in red and belive me it will be all better to drive when its "all in green". :D :p

Are you anywhere close Leeds so I could check it for you?

Edited by allias

I agree with above post as ive messed about with tracking on previous cars,

Volvo actually have different tracking specs for normal cars and special vehicles ie police cars and you can tell, have actually set a couple of customers cars to police spec due to there driving styles

Well been out on the airport run today, and the car only seems to do this in a right hand turn..... suggestions anyone

Apart from Turn left only lol...... i dont do NASCAR :giggle:

Edited by DSS199

So what... If you would know how many Ihave done when they were all in green and after adjustment customers felt difference. Its not about setting in green but to understand why you have to change it. I know its different topic but I want to change this myth... If you want I can set angles in red and belive me it will be all better to drive when its "all in green". :D :p

Are you anywhere close Leeds so I could check it for you?

Sorry missed your post..... lol, i am about an hour away, but am checking all the suspension components before i bother with any more alignment