Windows XP Installation Media

PastyBoy

to sum then... oh poop

I'll ask around work and see if they have any recovery discs for the HP desktops we use

that may be a way around it

If you need an OEM disc, just drop me a PM :)

Is an OEM disc rather than a disc burnt from an iso going to make a difference?

Surely regardless of what I use it'll still know it's not the HP laptop the ket was intended for?

It's not whether it's a burnt disc or not, it's the install files on it that make a difference as to whether it will accept the key stuck on the side of the computer.

Doesn't matter whether it's an HP, Dell or whatever OEM disc. OEM key will work on any of them.

If you've downloaded an ISO, the ISO needs to be for an OEM installation.You can edit files and change it, but it's easier just to get the right version in the first place.

There's no actual difference in the installation as such, it just determines what type of product key it accepts.

Doesn't matter whether it's an HP, Dell or whatever OEM disc. OEM key will work on any of them.

Not stricly true IME, I've had very little success getting keys to work from say HP with another oem disc, Dell one's seem to install on anything mind as long a I use a dell disc of course, I got a copy of a XP MCE which does the job with any dell XP key.

A big thank you to Samuel von Softscoop for supplying me with an iso of an OEM installation disc

I am now fully installated activated and leagl again!

There's something incredibly refreshing to go to the add/remove programmes box and see no programs installed!

I feel my soul have been cleansed!

I am glad you managed to get it sorted. I tried my first install of Tiny XP to get around a repeatedly failing internet registration problem I had, I went back to it after finally getting the install registered, only for it to decide it needed to be re-registered after swapping out the duff CDRW drive for a new one; the ONLY mod made to the PC after getting it registered.

Since then, I keep the key stickers, throw away the disk and install Tiny XP.

I had exactly the same problem you had with my wifes Dell, I reinstalled XP Pro so I could install her Chinese language input system as well, and it refused to accept the Key, even though the machine was completely original.

I COULD have installed the Chinese version of XP I bought in China (for £1), but I have found it wont let you set the time zone or location to ANYWHERE except China.

if you do more than a couple of rebuilds a year its worth buying microsoft technet subscription.

costs about £160 and you get preety much 2 copies of everything.

now as there are about 10 versions of win 7 (x2) and most versions of office including 2010 (x2) its a bargin.

lasts for a year ,so download everything and the codes.

still installs after a year as well, which is nice.

enjoy

I do it for free for people I know who struggle to understand or afford a computer, as well as supplying PCs for the use of the children at our Nursery school and after school clubs; as I do it for no payment, and re-use licenses on ancient (dead) PCs that get donated, I cannot really afford to cough up £160 on top of the parts I have to buy to get these PCs working again.