New intake installed, have I done something wrong?

I installed a Carbonio stage 1 last week and since then my economy has dropped terribly. I wouldn't say my driving style has changed since installing the intake.

On my journey to work I'm now averaging 29-31mpg on the computer readout compared to 36-37 prior. On the way home I'm getting a similar figure on a route that is 20% town driving and the rest 50mph A-road, this route generally gave me 38-40mpg but I think I could drive at 50mph all day now and not reach this figure.

The realtime MPG readout also seems low. It struggles to get about 33 sometimes when cruising at 70 on the motorway.

I know the trip computer shouldn't be taken as gospel and I plan to assess my economy via my next tank of fuel but wondered if there is anything I need to be checking in the meantime? I have VCDS so can do some data logging, although I'm unsure what I need to log.

Thanks

That's my suspicion, although I was very careful when I disconnected all the tubes and hoses etc. Luckily I didn't need to physically remove the MAF, just the plastic tubing it is installed in.

Is your car mapped? If so, a tweak would be recommended. If it's standard, get it remapped to fully utilise the intake.

That intake is now allowing more air into the engine. The ECU is then adding more fuel as a result.

In that case, as you won't really get much benefit on a standard car, you might want to think about re-fitting just prior to getting the remap done.

I was under the impression it was a worthwhile mod even on a standard map? Throttle response certainly seems better for a start.

My view would be that the standard setup is adequate when running standard power, and even a bit further.

As you've got VCDS you could go out and do some live logging, choosing the appropriate measuring blocks.

For a complete test, you could run the tests back-to-back with the standard intake and then the Carbonio.

crap i was just thinking of buying the apr carbonio air intake for my tsi octy, well now i got to cancel the idea, will this thing happen also for a stock replacement filter?

thinking of k&n or bmc stock replacement filter now..

Thanks..

Just a little update. Not had chance to plug it into vagcom yet so have filled the tank and will see what the computer says and cross reference with my own calculation. Will get under the bonnet one evening this week to check everything over.

I'm still convinced something isn't right, as from looking on google people don't seem to complain about a drop in MPG at all, let alone by the figure I've had.

well considering Ive got one I can safely say it didnt have any dramatic effect on mpg, although a boost leak would.

Im running Stage 2 on my 2.0 TSI and its more economical (normal driving) than stock!

Another update. Still not had chance to do any VCDS logs as tank is pretty much empty and there isn't any petrol around here! I've calculated my MPG by checking the mileage against fuel put in and it seems I'm getting 35-37mpg compared to the MDI telling me I'm at 30mpg, so I don't think there is any fault here.

I'm still going to try and do some logs next week and see what it comes up with.