DRL LED conversion

Hi ive completed my led conversion of DRLs to LEDs without voiding the warranty,( can be easily put back to stock)

below are some before and after pics

Click images for larger pics

LED DRLs

LED DRLs

LED DRLs conv

And while i was at it swapped the sidelight to led

LED Sidelight

The loom is to change polarity if leds dont work in bulb holder, then unclip the two parts of the bulbholder and use the loom inbetween the two parts and leds should work.

This mod is done entirely at your own risk.

Edited by Full Monte
  • Like 1

Hi ive completed my led conversion of DRLs to LEDs without voiding the warranty,( can be easily put back to stock)

below are some before and after pics

And while i was at it swapped the sidelight to led

The loom is to change polarity if leds dont work in bulb holder, then unclip the two parts of the bulbholder and use the loom inbetween the two parts and leds should work.

This mod is done entirely at your own risk.

What LED bulbs did you use? I have canbus compatible LED's but they have a blue tinge to them which I'm not keen on, but yours look pure white which is good.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Love the change but how hard was it to change the drl lamps? How did you get to them? Is it via the bottom grill as I see in one pic the grill is removed...

Please advise

^^^

Unclip the grills next to the lights, they can be quite tricky to get off the first time. You need to squeeze the slats of the grills and tug at the same time, mine were really tight so I used a plastic spudger to help lever them out.

Once the grills are removed look inside the recess and you'll see a metal spring clip on the side on the light unit, push this and the light will pull out. The bulb holders simply twist out, enabling access to the bulbs.

When refitting I put a little bit of oil on the plastic grill mounting points, it's made it a lot easier to remove the grills now.

Thanks for the guide.

But do the LED DRLs save any energy? Or is it all just lost as heat in the resistors?

As a rough guide do they get as hot as the originals in use?

The heat given off by the resistor will be less than a traditional filament lamp.

Thanks for the guide.

But do the LED DRLs save any energy? Or is it all just lost as heat in the resistors?

As a rough guide do they get as hot as the originals in use?

I didn't change them to save energy, I hated the yellow light. Difficulty level (0-10) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose theyre very bright? I did a quick search on Ebay and they are usually listed as reverse bulbs. You dont think theyre too bright? Seems to be around 10x brighter than 21 SMD (I have 18 SMD as DRL) :happy:

In daytime they don't disturb, they are 7 Watt. The lens collimate the light, but no one flashed so far.