Stalling and re-starting problem (1.3GLi Felicia)

Hi,

I've done a quick search though the forums, found a couple of things similar, but not quite the same.

I have a 1.3GLi Felicia estate, and recently it has started to play up. Basically, sometimes when i roll up to a stop, the engine revs die and the car stalls. (yes i do have the clutch down :P ). Anyway, If I try to restart it, it won't for at least 5mins or so... very annoying whilst sitting in the middle of a busy junction :(

Also, generally after starting, it is very spluttery, (seems to cough, then go, then cough, then go).

I noticed on another thread, that the second part could be related to engine sensors, although I was more inclinded to think it might have something to do with idle speed, the car is often very reluctant to get going when started, and

idles at about 500rpm... which I would think is a bit low.

Quickly give a bit of background to the car though, list some of the problems I've had over the past year.

About this time last year, a water pipe burst whilst driving down to southampton from sheffield, not much of a biggy, but stopped the trip. Fixed it myself and have thought not much more of it... till this week.

Had the alternator replaced about 3months ago, after it decided to go haywire on a trip up to sheffield... couldn't have the raido on over 2000rpm, was pumping way too many volts into the system (about 16-18v I was told). Had a new alternator fitted, and it has been fine..

And this week just gone, took the car to be MOT'd, only to be told the head gasket had gone (had been suspecting it, car was using water and running quite hot), so had too get that fixed... ouch. I'm guessing that was a consequense of the water pipe problem.

Anyway, not sure if any of these problems are related to this stalling/re-starting problem i have, although it does seem to have got worse since having the gasket changed. I wonder (hope) it may be a tuning thing, but given my current luck with the car I doubt it....

Any advice (preferably with DIY, I don't mind getting my hands dirty)

Thanks in advance

Ed

P.S. forgot to add it's a '99 T-Plate

• 2 weeks later...

I got a slightly different problem - Running rich I think, I have a serious petrol smell when I park up in the garage and get out. Probably everytime it runs but you notice more in a garage! I guess this could be the engine sensors too. Mines a P-reg Glxi +.

I have a 1.3GLi Felicia estate, and recently it has started to play up. Basically, sometimes when i roll up to a stop, the engine revs die and the car stalls. (yes i do have the clutch down :P ). Anyway, If I try to restart it, it won't for at least 5mins or so... very annoying whilst sitting in the middle of a busy junction :(

Had this on a 1.6 Octy (not sure how similar the engines are). Was the crank position sensor, which to a certain extent does control the idling.

If you take it for a "high-speed" blast, can you get the revs to redline as easily as normal, or does it feel like it's struggling?

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

appologies for the slow response.

She feels like she redlines fine... for a 1.3 :rolleyes:

Actually the stalling seems to have cleared up a little, hasn't happened recently. I have adjusted my drvining a little bit coming up to a junction now to compensate though (try not to let the revs drop too slowly with the clutch in, either put it down early, or a quick bit of heal and toe).

I'll look into the sensors though, might have to wait a few months... still paying for the head gasket now... :(

• 10 months later...

hi,

i am having something similar. i don't have the problem with restarting once the car stalls, but i do have the clutch in/low rev stalling issue.

is increasing the rpm at idle on a felicia something i can look at doing myself? i have a 1.3 mpi (2000/w reg) and her idling speed is about 500rpm which seems a bit daft.

interestingly, i also have a stalling when cold issue, and if i really let the car warm up (about 10mins with accelerator in to maintain 1000rpm) then the clutch in/low rev issue is lessened. does that make any sense at all?

many thanks for any help (as ever!)

lottie

• 1 month later...

hello,

not exactly on topic, but i thought i'd come back and (try to) explain what the cause of the stalling problem with my felicia mpi was...

my idling speed was really low (down to about 300rpm in the end!) causing stalling. the excellent chap at the garage today discovered the problem: the throttle cable had gotten all clogged up with carbon and goo (apparently quite common with vws/skodas). with this happening the valve thingy (sorry) was getting stuck by the motor that maintains the idling. so the computer was trying to compensate but it had gone as far as it could and it was still stalling.

in addition, someone who had their grubby mitts on the car before i bought it had messed about with the throttle cable (wound it round something?!) trying to raise the revs to stop the stalling.

so a clean out of the throttle cable and an e.c.u reset and she's idling at 750rpm and i can brake suddenly with impunity! :D :D

I suggest if you stall to leave it completely (No trying to start) for a min then start it. It sometimes happens to me when I stall the engine myself (Not mechanical.... just crap driving...lol) and it fires up fine.... I was told about some thing to do with fuel remaining in the chamber or something like that :S

Q

• 2 months later...
I suggest if you stall to leave it completely (No trying to start) for a min then start it. It sometimes happens to me when I stall the engine myself (Not mechanical.... just crap driving...lol) and it fires up fine.... I was told about some thing to do with fuel remaining in the chamber or something like that :S

Q

Yeah I have a similar issue, whenever my crap driving causes me to stall it never used to restart straight away, although i find if after i stall it i start it with my foot on the gas it starts no problem. Not really sure what it is though!