Roof rack on saloon. Which one?

Looking for a roof box and rack. Which one is the best and how easy are they to fit? What should I be looking for? I don't have a clue.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi gianthotdog,

I cant say exactly which one (I've got the estate) but O would stick with Thule & go for the Aerobars. It'll probably cost around £150 for the set.

I've got them for the estate & with a roof box on there is very little noise... but without the roof box it whistles a bit.

As for a roof box, it depends what size you need. (I might have a long 1/2 width one form Thule - Pacific 300 about 350litres of space which I've been thinking of selling on flea-bay; drop me a PM if interested).

Personally I'd stick with Thule but I believe the Halford ones are made in the same factory but they are not the latest clamps/hinges/brackets.... ie. one evolutionary step behind.

I would personally suggest, decide on the size you want/need & then look for either a new or 2nd hand one on e-bay & just hope the one you want is near you (SK8 ain't too far away... LOL) :giggle:

good luck

Stef

Having had a variety of roof boxes and roof rails over the years I have found my most recent purchase to be the best - its a Kamei (German I think) and comes with a 6-year warranty. The build quality is excellent, very sturdy, bone dry and has superb locking features - looks good too!

With respect to roof rails, I have had to buy new ones for almost every car I've ever owned which is a pain (I have three sets in my garage which are about to go on eBay!). I haven't yet bought any new ones for my Superb Elegance Twindoor but will probably bite the bullet and get the Skoda ones - they look good and dont have any unnecessary sticking out parts.

Hi,

I'm very pleased with my new Thule 'wing bars'. They claim to be much quieter than the older aero bars and that does seem to be the case. They weren't too much bother to fit. The bars are quite wide so I suspect they may mean you're locked into Thule roof boxes which will fit into the slots in the bars rather than than hook around the whole bar.

Updated with some quick rainy phone pics...

IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

David

Edited by davidww

I have had Thule roofbars for 17 years now. I have one set of 108cm and one set of 135cm long. I also have one standard footpack and one for roofbars. I have only needed to buy adaptor packs on each car change. Cost was about £25 for adaptor for Superb last year so as a long term investment would recommend thi approach

Roofboxes come in all shapes, sizes and prices so down to preference- how often will you use it? Can you store it easily when not in use etc?

I bought a basic box from Aldi about three years ago which takes SWMBOS mothers wheelchair keeping my boot tidy. If needed for personal luggage etc I would tend to Thule