Rear bumper reflector

Was also wondering the same thing as the tail lights already have a reflector so the bottom arent needed, legally.

Im talking about the pre FL VRS which your isnt and doesnt look like it has reflectors in the tail lights which is required to pass an MOT, in which case you prob should NOT tint your reflectors until you find out for sure if its legal.

Nope but let's talk about your oval exhaust pipe. Looks good.

Stainless steel exhaust pipe

end piece for 1.2 TSI, 1.4 MPI

and 1.6 MPI (FDC 610 003);

for 1.6 TDI CR and 2.0 TDI

(for cars manufactured after

week 22 of 2011; not for 4x4

and L&K) (1Z0 071 910)

The LED dectane taillights have their own refletores.

17062011025.jpg

Hmm - not sure what the insurance would say in the event of a rear-ender though................"sir it appears you have removed a set of reflectors from your vehicle".................reflectors that I >think< are covered under type approval. Somebody know more about this that me might be able to clarify the legal implications.

• 4 weeks later...

I had both my rear lights and reflectors done with 3m film, passed mot fine etc, I loved the look but coming back from a meet in convoy on the unlit M1 with Auric Goldfinger I realised although my lights were still relatively bright, I could see Andys a quarter of a mile away as I caught him up( he sett off back before me)

2012-03-19131614.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Was also wondering the same thing as the tail lights already have a reflector so the bottom arent needed, legally.

Im talking about the pre FL VRS which your isnt and doesnt look like it has reflectors in the tail lights which is required to pass an MOT, in which case you prob should NOT tint your reflectors until you find out for sure if its legal.

no reflex reflectors in the rear lamps im afraid so yeah if Alberg was in the UK it would be a tad dodgy!! :giggle:

Edited by o_ptic

But there are reflectors in alberg's aftermarket LED light clusters?

I'm no expert in the road regulations (in the UK) but as long as there is some red rear reflectors then its fine?

Must admit I'm not a big fan of reducing the output of any of my exterior lights, especially as it looks a bit '80's'.

alberg, why not paint the reflectors body colour for a cleaner look?

I'm no expert in the road regulations (in the UK) but as long as there is some red rear reflectors then its fine?

Must admit I'm not a big fan of reducing the output of any of my exterior lights, especially as it looks a bit '80's'.

not that I can see silver1011?....the tooling to produce refex reflectors is extremely expensive and very few of the aftermarket lamps have them for this reason!

(btw Im an automotive lighting engineer by trade :giggle: )

...just had another look, think those bottom sections are fog (would need to see it lit though).

You need 100mm between the stop lamp and fog function, as the LED's look as though they are probably tail and stop (im guessing the stop lamp part only lights the top of the lamp?)

The lamps clear section would be direction indicator and reverse!

Edited by o_ptic

There is a strip of relectors directly under the lower strip of LED's.

By 'reflex' reflectors I assume you mean (in layman's terms) curved?

Is it a requirement (in the UK) to have red curved reflectors to the rear?

I've seen cars with aftermarket rear light clusters without integral reflectors with just a single flat surfaced off the shelf reflector stuck to the bumper to get it through the MOT...

The LED dectane tail lights have their own reflectors...

17062011025.jpg

There is a strip of relectors directly under the lower strip of LED's.

By 'reflex' reflectors I assume you mean (in layman's terms) curved?

Is it a requirement (in the UK) to have red curved reflectors to the rear?

I've seen cars with aftermarket rear light clusters without integral reflectors with just a single flat surfaced off the shelf reflector stuck to the bumper to get it through the MOT...

I think the strip that youre referring to are just inner lens optics....need to get Alberg to confirm.

No reflex reflectors or retro reflex reflectors dont mean that they are curved! in the good old days the technology meant that only flat reflex reflectors could be produced but with 5 axis machines now and the advancement of CAD curved reflexes are now possible...although performace is lost when curving the surface!

The whole regulation is very complex but yes 2 reflex reflectors must be fitted to the rear of the vehicle...

Yeah some may say they have reflexes but unless they gain approval then its an issue (if thats the selling point anyway)...its unlikely that an MOT would spot them being missing but you can never tell!

The website claims 'integrated reflector' so hopefully this means that they are compliant and the separate lower reflectors can be tinted/removed with risk of having your collar felt by the Police :giggle:

DectaneOctaviaRearLightCluster.jpg

I do have some black vinil, will place over one reflector to see diference.

I just went out and took this picture, holding phone and small flashlight.

You can see the reflector on the LED DECTANE Lights and still on bumper reflector as the vinil is light black

07062012187.jpg

How easy are the reflectors to remove?

Thanks in advance.

Very easy, on the exaust side you have access to the reflector from inside bumper, you have 3 clips easily seen as they are red., press and pul against you

As for other side you need to take the plastic cover on bumper to access, here need to be careful but nothing major or the black under cover located from bumper to gas tank.

Edited by alberg

Very easy, on the exaust side you have access to the reflector from inside bumper, you have 3 clips easily seen as they are red., press and pul against you

As for other side you need to take the plastic cover on bumper to access, here need to be careful but nothing major or the black under cover located from bumper to gas tank.

Have you tried to tint the high level brake light at the top of the rear windscreen...?

• 2 weeks later...