Air-Con/Heater Fan Noise

Hi all,

My car has suddenly started making a low bassy rumbling noise whenever the air-con/heater fan is on. The volume and pitch increases as the fan power is increased and is always present regardless of any other control, unless I turn the system off completely. It doesn't sound like the rasping noise I'd expect if there was a leaf stuck, this sounds much more like a blowing exhaust. The noise seems to be coming from the passenger footwell.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause might be?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Had something very similar noise in the footwell area. Had it check out while the car was on its last days of the warranty. Turned out to be noise transfer? from the coolant pump at the front of the engine. The pump was replaced everything fine now

• 2 years later...

Had the described problem in my previous Octavia 2 1.9pd wagon.

The problem turned out to be as simple as a piece of paper (a parking permit ticket) that had slipped down inside the windscreen and got inside the circular fan.

I had to get down on my back in the passenger footwell and remove the cover to the pollen filter and then disengage and wiggle out the fan/motor.

A great relief it was so simple as the replacement unit was priced at A$380 here in Australia although there were units available from the UK for about 130 pounds.

Edited by Gerrycan