Wheel bearings - Skoda noob!

Hi all,

Forgive me for being a bit green but this is my first skoda (my son's first car) although I have owned and worked on / repaired several seat leons and a mark 4 golf so know the VW group quite well.

My son noticed a whine / grinding noise coming from the front o/s when he reached 50-60 and turned the wheel to the right. Turning the wheel left stopped it, I drove it and noticed it too. I have checked for play in the front wheels, and back for good measure, but can't find any. The front o/s side does grind a bit when turned so I reckon thats the problem.

I have looked online and can get a complete wheel bearing kit which looks like it just bolts onto the drive shaft without having to press out / press in any bearings. Is this correct or am I being a bit stupid? I am sure it will need a little muscle and a few choice swear words but I am hoping its straight forward.

I think the n/s has been done before as the large nut holding the hub on is different / cleaner than the o/s.

If it is a simple as I hope it is do I need any special skoda / VAG tools?

Thanks in advance....

MikeForgot to add - 02 reg 1.4mpi Classic 60 bhp 85k on the clock

Edited by Miko

I had a similar prob with mine minus the tell tale bearing whine, turned out it was the drop link if I recall. I'd eliminate that first before splashing out :)

Had a look at drop link threads on here and i dont think thats it, no clonking noises but a definite whine at speed and turning right.

Just taken it up the road again and it pulls slightly to the left when I take my hands off the wheel, not much but enough to have to correct it.

I guess this means a visit to a garage but was hoping to do it myself as my son is a sponging student :rofl: and I have to pay for everything......

mine has always pulled a little to the left! I put it down to road camber and slight torque steer, but mine's a 1.9TDi and I've never driven a 1.4 petrol. Sorry I can't be of more help :( You might be better off posting this in the Fabia 1 section and hopefully you'll get more help than I can give. Cheers, Lee

mine has always pulled a little to the left! I put it down to road camber and slight torque steer, but mine's a 1.9TDi and I've never driven a 1.4 petrol.

Tyres have a date and other info stamped on one side of the tyre only. If they are both fitted facing the same way (ie date on the outside of the left tyre and inside of the right tyre) even when balaced the car will always steer to one side.

The hub carrying the bearing has to be pressed out of the hub carrier and the new one pressed in. Has to be done off the car. Easy if you have a press. Harder if you have a lump hammer, large vice etc, but do-able. You have to be careful not to press on the bearing itself but only on the hub when fitting. If you think it's a wheel bearing do it. Spend the £30.

Nigel

The thing I learnt the first time I thought it would be a good idea to do a wheel bearing myself was that even when doing them yourself you're still best off taking them to a garage to press in/out for the small cost involved vs the ball ache of doing it without a press.