Vrs PD 2.0 TDi 170

Hi, new member here, been looking at a 56 plate Vrs tdi on 68k, checked it all out has had injector recall and cambelt, and new clutch and dmf in the past year. My question is does the pd 170 engine in the Skoda suffer from the oil pump balance shaft issues, a few people are saying its a different assembly in the skoda to the audi, any advice?

Thanks

Hi there,

No none of the Octavia diesel engines had a balance shaft driven oil pump so don't suffer with this problem.

Brilliant, just what I wanted to hear, been reading horror stories all over the internet about the 2.0 pd lump, and had just about talked myself out of buying 1.

Do the 2.0 pd 170's consume a bit of oil?, Car I looked at was above the minimum level, so was a bit curious if thats normal on these engines,

Thanks

Brilliant, just what I wanted to hear, been reading horror stories all over the internet about the 2.0 pd lump, and had just about talked myself out of buying 1.

Do the 2.0 pd 170's consume a bit of oil?, Car I looked at was above the minimum level, so was a bit curious if thats normal on these engines,

Thanks

Some consume a bit of oil some don't, however there are plenty of posts about garages overfilling the oil at services and more worryingly there are people on here who suffer from rising oil levels following the injector recall - It may just be slightly overfilled but its better you know the possibilities - do a search on here for "Rising Oil Level"

Hi there,

No none of the Octavia diesel engines had a balance shaft driven oil pump so don't suffer with this problem.

I think some of the earlier Superbs had the balance shaft issue! - but definitely not the Octys :happy:

Some consume a bit of oil some don't, however there are plenty of posts about garages overfilling the oil at services and more worryingly there are people on here who suffer from rising oil levels following the injector recall - It may just be slightly overfilled but its better you know the possibilities - do a search on here for "Rising Oil Level"

I think some of the earlier Superbs had the balance shaft issue! - but definitely not the Octys :happy:

It was cold when I checked it so glad its above minimum rather than being above the maximum.

Rising oil level? surely down to injector seals if thats the case, straightforward job to change injector seals?

Yes the balance shaft issue was limited to the 2.0 PD Superb mk1, Passat, Audi A4 (and possibly A6?).

The Golf-platform 2.0 PD cars don't have this problem for the simple reason that they don't have balance shafts but instead use an oil pump drive similar to the 1.9 PD engine.

It was cold when I checked it so glad its above minimum rather than being above the maximum.

Rising oil level? surely down to injector seals if thats the case, straightforward job to change injector seals?

Sorry misread your post, thought you said oil was above the max :doh:

You're quite right, injector seals, but getting the dealer to admit to it is another thing.