Octy 1.6 - more power, lower revs?

hi all

my first post - and i am not overly technical

Just got an 03 plate octavia for only 40k on the clock. - it is a 1.6 engine and is great around town and not bad on the motorway - only thing is that it will have higher revs when i am driving at 70mph - sits around 40k i think

Was wondering is there anyway to improve performance and econmoy on motorway with this engine so it doesn't seem to work too hard...?

Maybe if i swapout the top manifold and injection unit for a 1.8/2.0 and the exhaust manifold for a 1.8/2.0 (or just teh manifold leav eold injection unit oin there?

- are they same fitment but different hole sizes - easier and quicker gas flows??

- or just get new exhaust system? or can i just use a VRS exhaust - full or backend only??

trying to balance limited budget with performance - i am no boy racer but woudl like to have a car working nicer on motorways.....

Any ideas or help will be appreciated...thanks

Riz

:)

Changing the gearbox will be very expensive and might not even improve the fuel economy (even if it does, it'll take many many thousands of miles to make it worthwhile). I'd leave it as is, or buy a 1.8T engined car.

Take as much un-necessary weight as you can out of the car for long journeys.

You could probably get a cat-back exhaust system for the 1.6 but it'll worsen your fuel economy if anything and won't make a massive difference to the power.

Probably better off chopping it in for a 1.9TDI if you want a decent economical motorway cruiser with a bit of grunt.

1.9TDi is the way to go for economy. even my 90brake will motor way cruise at about 55-60mog, and revs low enough you can have a whispered conversation while you do it.

It is the gear box that will pitch up the revs. I drive a fair amount of different vehicles at work, and borrowing cars for things ive to do. many with different gearboxes attached to the same engine block (Peugot & Ford's 1.6,1.8,1.9 HDi/TDi engines that seem to be in everything!!!) and they rev at completely different rates in different cars.. Expensive to change that though!!