broken rear spring :( VRS!

lol death trap indeed. I would NEVER have replaced one rear one if that were the case, and please don't think 'you're a woman you know ****' (tyres and brakes always done in pairs)

I had one replaced a year and a half ago, with standard replacement one - yes you can get vRS ones from factors, they aren't dealer only and they are proper vRS springs - and it's been absolutely fine

Edited by Zoe

As long as the replacement is exactly the same - height, number of coils and spring thickness it is perfectly fine - even garages and Skoda dealers do this too, nothing bad will happen use some common sense as to how it all fits together...

I've had zero problems and sailed through another MOT since, and believe me I know about handling

But as you say each to their own, it's for the individual to decide on their preference

Edited by Zoe

Springs lose their strength though. The points you give do not account for this. It's still a stupid and potentially dangerous idea, but whether or not you choose to accept it is another matter altogether.

Guest BigJase88

Id do it! My work vans get single springs replaced and hey im still alive believe it or not!

If it aint broke dont fix it

I remember a thread a while back about dont use your spare alloys tire (made in 05) and im using it just now and it grips better than the ditch finders it has on the other axle

• 1 month later...

just replaced the two rears on my 02 vrs octy after reading here how simple, it really was, ordered two from fleabay, waiting for me when I came home, so after tea went out and changed them both in about an hour, piece of cake.

jack up (with car jack), wheel off, bottom shock bolt off, push axle down, take out old spring, remove bumpstop from spring and locate on new spring, push axle down and insert new spring, juck up axle(with trolley jack) to insert shock bolt, tighten, remove trolley jack, and refit wheel, remove car jack..repeat for other side

magic, thanks chaps