Engine Speed Sensor probably? But which diagnostic should I buy to check/clear?

Good afternoon all,

I took a friend out in my 2004 vRS last week for a driving lesson. Unfortunately he stalled the car and I think immediately after this warning lights appeared - namely the engine management light and a flashing coil.

I think that the likelihood is that the engine speed sensor did not like it and thus my car is showing an error. Might be wrong, and if you think I am, let me know.

Now, the next step, is 1, how can I confirm the error and 2, how can I clear it.

Rather than paying 20-30 at a garage, I was thinking of investing in my own diagnostic. I was just wondering what you guys would recommend? I have had a look on ebay and have seen some in the £15-£60 region, perhaps you could tell me which ones are good/bad etc, or other dealers who sell them?

Key things to me are:

Ability to give me the error code

Have a way of finding out what the code means

Have a way in which I can clear the code.

Any help, would be really really good!!

Thanks,

John

So do you actually have any lights on the dash and if so what? It's just it's unlikely a car would chuck up a warning light permanently as a result of stalling.

As for diagnostics in your budget you're either looking at dodgy versions of VCDS (avoid) or stand alone kit that's a knock off of a knock off of a knock off. Personally I'd get a generic lead and download the (free) shareware version of VCDS and register it (free). It'll give you the basic functionality you want with a few limitations.

So do you actually have any lights on the dash and if so what?

Thanks for the reply, it's the engine management light and a flashing coil. (Also, already checked the brakes and they're working :))

I did see this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230788987104&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_1578wt_1185

Seems ideal, the seller has confirmed it will give me the code, then per the guide he'll give me, it will tell me what the fault is. Also, should I choose, I can clear the fault.

Looks like it has been designed just for Skodas too?

From personal experience with innovate wifi kits reading fault codes I'd go with VCDS every single time but if you don't have access to a laptop/netbook then the type of stand alone kit in the first link is the next best option. You can always look the fault up on the RT site if you get stuck.