Another flat tyre within 6 months!

Yes JRW, (not) was missing cheers for that i never noticed. Yes i have Changed many tyres and wheels over the years (SILVER) and can do it without any problem. But i think we are missing the point even if you don't agree with what i said, the OP has driving 20 miles on a knowing flat tyre putting every other road user at risk, now i think you can see why it got my back up as that is so very dangerous. I used kwik fit for tyres the last two times and never has a problem with the torque setting's but i have heard some scarey stories about fast fit centres.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Is it possible to repair a tyre that has been emergency repaired with the can of sealent?

I was looking at such a can today in Sainsburys and if the puncture would normally be repairable it still is. It says you must tell the repairer you have used it, and says keep the empty can and show it to him.

By the way, I can understand the OP not wanting to change to wheel himself. I do my wheelnuts up with a torque wrench at home to correct figure, but it is awfully difficult to get them off with the supplied wrench. One good idea if not carrying a torque wrench is a bit of strong tube to fit over the handle of the simple wheel nut wrench to get better leverage.

But driving 20 miles on a flat - well, even if the puncture was originally repairable, it won't be after that!

I still think I hold the record here -- 2 brand news tyres fitted to the estate, and a blowout caused by a puncture just 56 miles and the following day after they had been fitted. Absolutely gutted!

Oh, and welcome to Briskoda, Red Devil 666 -- it's a really friendly forum on here, and you'll make some good friends! :hi: We're all here to help, don't be afraid to ask if you want something answering.

Mike

A local motor factor's delivery driver can beat that. He had five in one day. Three initially and another two when he decided to double back to see what caused the first three. He never did find the cause. Dumbass!

I feel your pain - I've been through a silly amount of tyres on the Fabia and now Octavia over the past eight years.

The main culprit for a while was ths shocking state of the roads where I live, with unavoidable deep potholes everywhere causing sidewall damage.

The other main cause has been nails, screws, wire, all sorts of debris!

Found some useful advice on here though, wher a number of people seem to think the recommended manufacturer tyre pressures (especially for the Octavia II) are too low. After increasing mine slightly, the sidewalls are less prone to pothole damage.

Not much you can do about the nails etc. Just try and be lucky!

My worst was after getting four new Gooyear Eagle F1s fitted by the dealer. I went straight on to the motorway, and within 20 miles, I was on the hard shoulder with a shredded nearside front tyre, split all the way around the sidewall. I suspect either bad fitting or manufacturing fault, but never got to the bottom of it. To be fair to the dealer, they looked after me after this mishap!

Surely the biggest thing here is that he called the AA to change his wheel!

Please send your Man Card back to the address on the back! :rofl:

:D although might not be a 'he', might be an elderly gent or might just never have been thought such things.

In all honesty though I think the AA should charge £50 or so for call outs to change a tyre, unless the driver I female/old/disabled or has another good reason for not doing it themselves. I'm under the impression that they do this If you call them out due to running out of fuel and think I'd view the two similarly if I was sat stranded with a genuine breakdown whilst the AA drivers were all too busy with fuel/tyre issues.

As for them being too tight, I've had to jump up and down on the wrench for a few but they've all given way eventually. It just depends on whether you're the type of person who gives up easily or the kind of stubborn oaf who just refuses to be beaten by a wheelnut ;)