Diesel fuel pump problem

Well just been out in it again. I started the engine(fires quickly....as normal). I reved the engine and no smoke. I've not really seen much smoke at all....just a little thin grey smoke earlier when pulling uphill with a cold engine. I live at the top of a 1 in 7 hill. It usually can go up in second but I just had to drop it into first to get up it.

thanks for all your answers guys, your great.

John

I've just had another look at the pdf. I have the spanners etc. Do you think this is something I could check myself or should I get a garage to check it for me. unsure about how to evac the air(dont have that tool.(have some tubing and some lungs though).

John

Well the Halfords Auto Centre (just noticed it was them) diagnosis is BS. They say "it was flooding the engine with diesel when the accelerator was pressed" but you are not getting black smoke, so that is bogus.

You don't have a turbo so it can't be sticky vanes causing limp mode.

If it were underpowered without any noise, I would go with a blocked fuel filter. If it wasn't replaced on schedule it could be way overdue (so changed it anyway).

You need to get the car scanned.

It's quick and easy to check the case pressure relief valve, so I would do that anyway. It's also easy to check that the connector on the end of the injector 3 wire.

can i check the pressure relief valve myself even though I do not have a miti-vac type tool?. thanks so much for your help

Yes you can, but it may take a while to start as the pump will have to draw the fuel through. It's really no different from changing the fuel filter. Don't crank for more than 20s every minute. If it just won't start you may have to wrap a rag around one of the injectors and loosen the union nut while you crank. When you do change the fuel filter, fill it with diesel or you'll be cranking forever.

Have checked the wire on injector 3. It is attatched as far as I can see. Hope to sort the fuel filter and pressure relief valve tomorrow. I'll let you know...thanks. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Your help has been appretiated greatly....John

I went to buy the fuel filter today and bumped into a guy that lives around the corner from me. Apparently he's a bit of a mechanic. He offered to scan it for me for nothing. His boss said the car sounded like the tapits were knocking possibly oil not reaching the head?. Anyway scanning hopefully later today. On the way to my mates where I was going to fit the filter, I got a puncture!, Any way tyre changed and filter changed..... still noisy.

no smoke seen today.

Do you have a receipt for the fuel you bought? sounds likely that you put PETROL in it instead to me if I'm honest (and I see at least 2 a month with similar problems)

the cheapest option if you are going to throw parts at it in the hope of fixing it, is to go fill the tank with diesel right to the top and see if that improves it (if not you still have a tank of fuel you can use anyway!!).

Do you have a receipt for the fuel you bought? sounds likely that you put PETROL in it instead to me if I'm honest (and I see at least 2 a month with similar problems)

the cheapest option if you are going to throw parts at it in the hope of fixing it, is to go fill the tank with diesel right to the top and see if that improves it (if not you still have a tank of fuel you can use anyway!!).

Yep first thing I checked. I remembered how expensive it was and checked how many litres and multiplied it out. It definately came out of the diesel pump. Now what that was I have no clue.perhaps it had been wrongly filled. I'm off to get it scanned now. will let you know how it goes.

John

Had it scanned by someone that lives around the corner from me that had helped me cut a tree down of a neighbour. Didn't realise that he was a mechanic. Anyway there were 3 codes before he cleared them and one after.

Cold start injector open or short to ground p1252 this one still there after codes cleared and a local run around done.

Manifold temp sensor open or short to ground p1161 no longer showing

Motor for intake manifold flap open or short to ground p3101 no longer showing.

Hope that helps clear things. So he says he will look into where it is(perhaps it's in the fuel pump?) It's basically running around flooding the engine causing the loss of power and noisy engine(does that sound right. I'm still getting over 50 to the gallon

Your views please

John

Just back. the fuses were checked, but he didn't have time to check the wiring etc. said he'd need a wiring diagram. seems the wires aren't colour coded as expected. Also found another problem. while i was looking for my fuse box, I found what looks like an electrical cable hanging down next to my accelerator pedal. Looks like it's been sheared. also have a brake light not working. Have bought a new bulb for it. Looked at them but couldn't see which one was blown. will get the mrs to look when I put my foot on the pedal.

any idea where I can get a wiring diagram?.I'll try google it.

thanks for your help....John

• 3 months later...

Thankyou all for your help. Well it wasn't the fuel pump I was trying to be sold by Halfords but it was one of the wires to the solenoid which had corroded through. Cost me 80 quid to get fixed and is now driving like a dream. Thankyou. You made a real difference.

John

• 11 months later...

Hi, can I just bump his thread?

My OH's SDI has developed a very similar problem and I could do wth a little help diagnosing the problem.

Symptoms...... down on power heavily. Will do 70mph flat out on an even road. Sounds very diesel chattery. From half throttle to full throttle seems to make very little difference to engine tone or performance. The engine chatters loudest after a period of coasting in gear or slowing down. When the throttle is then depressed it chatters very loudly for a second or two before easing off. It fires first touch of the key and idles perfectly albeit a smidgeon louder than it should and revs freely but again a litlte louder than it should.  No other knocks or rattles from the engine at all.

One thing I did notice last  night was the instantaneous fuel consumption readng seemed wrong flat out. Cruising along at 50mph it was showing 62 ish which is about right but floor it in top and keep it floored and it would read no lower than 46 even at 70mph with the throttle buried in the carpet. IIRC in such a situation it should be readig in the 20's?

Another point to note but dont think its related but will mention it anyway. Her car was just above the red and showing an estimated fuel range of 75 miles. I then put in 10 litres of SVO so it was running about two thirds SVO. Its run this many times with no issues over the past couple of years so shouldnt be a factor but worth mentioning just in case. It has since been run down to the red again and £35 of diesel added and no change.

It was dark last night when I drove it so cant coment on smoke but OH says she did look when driving and wasnt aware of any smoke but I'l check that and report on here when she is home from work this evening.

Will it cause any damage if I use the car like this for perhaps 500 miles until I can organise scans and repairs etc?

many thanks in advance.

Edited by capriman