Help Headlamp confusion.

Now I have only had my car a year , just today noticed i have two different headlamp clusters ...Yeah think I should have spotted that before. Looked back at my photos when i first got the car ....yep ...bright as day ( excuse the pun). My confusion is now which one is the correct version for my car ?

Will post both pics ..sorry for the quality in advance ..taken with my phones camera.

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

The car does not have auto or auto headlamp adjust , but does have a powered headlamp height adjustment , if that helps any. Looking at the back of the clusters ( sorry did not take any photos ( D'oh )) , they both look the same .....Help! :o

I dont know what is originally fitted on a VRS in GB.

Should be the one with the lens though (first piccie)

Halogen versions come as a reflector headlamp and as the first one a DE lensed version.

The Xenons always have the DE lens.

Seems that the former owner went for a cheaper replacement after a small shunt.

Well that is a first for me! I've never seen a MkII Octavia without the projector headlights, in fact I never even realised standard reflector headlights were ever fitted.

The first headlight you have pictured (i.e drivers side) is the correct headlight.

This is called a projector headlight as the bulb is focused through a projector lens. I can only assume the second (passenger side) headlight is either from a non-UK specification Octavia or is a non-genuine aftermarket headlight...

The first pic is a xenon headlamp and the second is an halogen, if you have a headlamp adjuster in the car next to the instrument illumination adjuster then you should have halogens like the second picture.

Ian

The first pic is a xenon headlamp...

No it isn't, all UK specification MkII Octavia's got the projector type headlights - both halogen and xenon equipped Octavia's.

It isn't possible to tell if a projector headlight is halogen or xenon simply by looking at it from the exterior (at least on the pre-facelift, it is on the FL as they have the cornering function too which is visible from the outside).

As the OP has already said he doesn't have auto levelling (he has the manual adjustment knob instead) this suggests his car isn't equipped with xenon headlights. The lack of headlight washers will confirm.

I've found this picture, its an early basic spec MkII Octavia (UK spec) and it has projector headlights. This would suggest that all UK MkII Octavia's are fitted with projector headlights.

This then begs the question... the non-projector headlight must have been sourced from a non-UK car which would suggest it is angled completely wrong for driving on the left?

A question to the OP, do you get flashed at night by oncoming cars?

$(KGrHqNHJBkE+OMofz8PBP03)fK38!~~60_12.JPG

I'd also be checking for any more signs of an accident repair.

Hopefully its a simple headlight replacement as a result of a stone chip etc. that the guy has sourced on the cheap from an international eBay seller.

Hopefully there wasn't more damage that has also been fixed 'on the cheap'...

Thanks for all the replys , funny enough where i bought car from said the previous owner went often to Germany, might explain it. Will start looking for a replacement asap. :rock:

• 2 months later...

Have now sorted my headlamp confusion and eventual went with the black headlamps. It's more subtle than i expected , but happy with the choice. They are also e-marked so totally legal. :happy:

sorry about the poor picture taken in a hurry with my phone .....needs a clean too.

IMAG0304ver2.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmmmmmm I like them alot!

Are they just standard headlights that have been taken apart and sprayed black inside, or are they actually made black?

Really like the grills as well, what are they and where from?

Not sure about the badge behind it though.

You might cost me a lot of money here :rofl:

Thanks ...they are manufactured in Tiawan and don't look sprayed. They only poor bit i can see is that they used grey silicone to seal the lens cover. But that's only visible when the lamps are out. Apart from that they seem as good as standard. The fitment is normal halogen lamps and they are motorised.

As regards the grill got the upper one for a song at gti festival last year ( too cheap to say no ), the lower one is a bit more expensive. Also add the cost of getting the upper grill surround painted as well as lower grill side vents .....! Funny enough i quite like the original vertical lines of the original upper and lower grill , but the lower side vents ruined the front with those horizontal lines on the VRS , a styling mare in my book. Tried to find smooth or vertical lower side vents , but they was nothing available. The grills are by Milotec .

Jury is still out for the hidden badge , but there is a Y shaped support there , and the grill kit supplies black tape to try and hide it. It looks naff , and even though mine was painted black anyway , still looked naff. Thought about cutting the Y out , but don't like the idea of removing supporting metal.

Hope that helps , i'm really happy with subtle effect of the lamps. :blush:

Just noticed this, cant believe you did not notice you had non projector on the other side :blush: .Yes even non original fit( patterned ones) are projector in this country , and may have failed an mot. Brimma has some dark projectors like yours too. Glad you have sorted it

Just had it washed , hope these pics are a bit better.

DSCF0301_2.jpg

Have to admit refitting was a pain , as they take some effort to align within the headlamp guides. :whew:

What wheels are on that car?

Any side view of them?

Cheers