Retro-fitted Columbus - No Sound

Hi,

I've just retrofitted a Columbus (3T0... version) into my 2008 58 Plate Scout. No Battery Drain issues, the SAT NAV works, the retrofitted Climatronic display works, the unit can see various radio stations, the CD changer and the fact that something is connected to the AUX In. However there is no sound at all.....

It's hardware version H42 and SW 2724

I have put the old Stream MP3 unit back in and get sound - no problem. I have the original 8 speakers in the Scout (2 in each of the front passenger/driver doors, 1 in each of the two rear doors and 2 across the front of the car.

I do not have a Maxidot instrument Cluster and thought it was just a plug and play - does the unit require coding?

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Gareth

Yes. It needs coding.

The CAN gateway needs to know that there is a 'navigation' unit (I.e. Columbus) installed otherwise you will not get full functionality.

I doubt that this is the root of the problem though.

Sorry, I don't know what is though.

There are two possibilities. The most likely is that the unit is coded for the 12 speaker system and needs the long coding changing to work with the standard speakers. This is a one minute job. The other possibility is that the audio board in the unit is broken. I have seen units in this state. It's pretty easy to replace the board.

• Like 1

Cool, thanks for the replies,

Nick a few questions....

I've found the Ross-Tech RNS-510 retrofit page, where it shows about enabling address 56 for the radio and 37 for the navigation control module. Would the changing of the speaker system be found in address 56 for the radio? Is it a check box to tick/untick? I guess having the original Stream MP3 HU in and getting a dump of the codes so I could see what options have been ticked and then apply that to the Columbus when retro-fitted.

Also do you have a link for replacing the Audio board on a Columbus? Sorry for the many questions!

Cheers

Gareth

Changing the speaker system in VCDS is a simple case of looking for the right tick box in the right controller.

Enable 'Navigation' by going to 19 - CAN Gateway and then Installation list. Tick 37 - Navigation & leave 56 also ticked.

Go to either 56 or 37 (changes in one seem to update the other automatically), use Long Coding Helper and seek the relevant audio options (they may be tick boxes or a drop down list - I can't recall off the top of my head) that may have been factory installed. Choose the most likely one for your vehicle and see if that works.

It is pretty straight forward to do and reasonably obvious when you find the right section.

Yes, it's in the long coding for the navigation / radio so its just a case of unticking a check box in the long coding helper.

Sorry I don't have a link for swapping out the board, but I doubt very much it'll come to that - much more likely the coding.

Big thanks to Devonutopia for the use of his vcds. All is working now. It was the fact the Columbus needed coding and the speaker options needed tweaking.

Thanks Nick P and KBPhoto for the coding info.

Seems I have the same issue! Although, just done a dummy fit of it in my current Octavia, but this unit is for my new Octavia in a few weeks time, but funnily enough Devonutopia has offered to code it into my car when I have it, so he has done yours then hopefully it will be easy for mine!

Just out of interest, what else came to life once the unit was coded??

Thanks, James.

Apart from getting sound, the unit seemed a lot more stable. I upgraded the climatronic panel so it displays all the climate info. I did not update the parking sensor controller do that only beeps which is more than enough.

The sat nav, cd changer, aux in all worked. I've got the fm and tmc signal on the Columbus. I'm waiting for a splitter cable from eBay from Poland. I ordered it 3 weeks ago and though it was posted I've not had it.....

Devonutopia also tinkered with a few bits on the car. I've got the anti-hijack and the noisier locking system now.

Apart from getting sound, the unit seemed a lot more stable. I upgraded the climatronic panel so it displays all the climate info. I did not update the parking sensor controller do that only beeps which is more than enough.

The sat nav, cd changer, aux in all worked. I've got the fm and tmc signal on the Columbus. I'm waiting for a splitter cable from eBay from Poland. I ordered it 3 weeks ago and though it was posted I've not had it.....

Devonutopia also tinkered with a few bits on the car. I've got the anti-hijack and the noisier locking system now.

Cheers so it just 'falls into place' as sucj once coded? The climatronic and parking sensor screens all came up and worked as it should etc just no sound, although I got the feeling when playing with it that it was being held back if you know what I mean as it wasnt coded, but looking forward to it going in the new car and being coded as it does seem a very competant unit!

• 4 years later...

dears,

I expect the same issue with my Columbus today. it's working 2 years ago by just a plug and play installation. Today no sound is played from Radio and Media.

Only Voice control is heard in the speakers.

I have VCDS 17, How can troubleshoot this issue? Only change was maded on the car is the battery change two weeks before?

Columbus Unit is starting normal and all menus are operationnal including Climatronic info.

Thanks for your help.