Xenon HID retrofit

I reckon it would be worthwhile emailing the seller and letting them know about the colour deterioration.

A long shot but they might be willing to help you out with a new kit?

I hadn't even thought to be that cheeky, but its worth a shot. I assume the fl has the same bulb type as the original mkll? I could chance my arm until he asks for the old kit back. I'll give it a go.

Cheers

Had HIDs fitted a few weeks after first getting my mk2, so close on three years now.  No yellowing, no noticable deterioration, no problems whatsoever.  Always passed MOT without comment.

I got mine from LondonColour via ebay, about £45ish.

Everything fits inside headlamp shell.  Coded by a member on here.  

I got the 35w 4300k.  Very white, and a delight to drive behind. Should they be banned as is, I would have to consider fitting levelling, as the thought of going back to the awful std (even with nightbreaker type) lighting is horrendous.

I've had one flash in three years.  After a car park plonker rubbed the bumper just below the lamp and the unit popped out of its track at the bottom.  A reinstall sorted that.

• Like 1

London color is the place to get them on ebay.

My 2010 vRS I fitted 5k kit

My 2012 I fitted the 4300k kit.

While the 4300 is said to give more light I think I would prefer the 5k kit if I were to fit them again. 

with the 5k it was a blue'r white but blue as in blue. Just a colder looking white with a int of blue cut off line.

• Like 1

London color is the place to get them on ebay.

My 2010 vRS I fitted 5k kit

My 2012 I fitted the 4300k kit.

While the 4300 is said to give more light I think I would prefer the 5k kit if I were to fit them again.

with the 5k it was a blue'r white but blue as in blue. Just a colder looking white with a int of blue cut off line.

There was recently another HID thread on here where we debunked the "4300 gives best light" myth. You are probably right to suggest 5000k

Link:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/279389-d1s-xenon-bulbs/

Edited by mr_awol
  • Like 1

There was recently another HID thread on here where we debunked the "4300 gives best light" myth. You are probably right to suggest 5000k

Link:

I had a Typo there.

I did mean to say "NOT blue as in blue"

Get 55W 5000K and set the headlight dipper dial to 0.5 to fix the higher cutoff due to the different shape of the bulb.

Also, get the car coded for Xenon *BEFORE* you install the HID's.

Car will be fine with Xenon box checked, but with halogen lights installed.

It was 25,000km for me, between getting the car coded and actually installing the HID's I had lying around. :) (I do very high km's)

Get 55W 5000K and set the headlight dipper dial to 0.5 to fix the higher cutoff due to the different shape of the bulb.

Also, get the car coded for Xenon *BEFORE* you install the HID's.

Car will be fine with Xenon box checked, but with halogen lights installed.

It was 25,000km for me, between getting the car coded and actually installing the HID's I had lying around. :) (I do very high km's)

I do agree with you 100% but remember that the xenon coding does not apply to 2009/2010 and even 2011 models, I have tried the coding and did not work on mine, 2010 model with MY11 changes

Edited by alberg

I do agree with you 100% but remember that the xenon coding does not apply to 2009/2010 and even 2011 models, I have tried the coding and did not work on mine, 2010 model with MY11 changes

I'm on my 5th BCM (body control module) in a July 2011 build - technically MY12.

I got the Xenon setting coded and took the plunge - reinstalling some brand new 55W HID's... Zero problems so far. :)

To be clear, when you say 'coding does not apply to 2009/2010' do you mean the coding isn't needed, or that the VCDS options aren't available to code non-canbus HIDs?

My own testing is that doing the vcds option will not eliminate the error, used canbus kit. Now have original xenon and on a different note the xenon kit actually gave more light output(brighter) than original D1S bulbs

• 1 year later...

hello mates, i want to fit xenon on my 08 vrs. i want to install non can-bus 4300k 55w on both projectors headlights and fog lights. i want to know if i have to code them on my pre-fl? is the option available? i don't want to get any code on the dash

Had to on my pre fl.

The HID's work in a completely different way to a resistive halogen bulb.  The coding changes what the canbus is looking for.  Otherwise canbus will throw up an error as there is not the resistance it thinks should be there.

Link:

"we"?

You mean "you"

:D

I guess the debate will rumble on in the same way as petrol vs. diesel vRS!

4300K = 3,200 usable lumens (VAG OEM)

5000K = 3,000 usable lumens

6000K = 2,800 usable lumens

8000K = 2,500 usable lumens

Colour temperature is measured in Kelvin (K).

Brightness is measured in Lumens.

Intensity is measured in Candela.

Useful reading here...

http://www.mobilehid.com/3000k.htm

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1