Sticking Drum/drums

Hi there I have just replaced my rear drums and one of the wheel cylinders plus bleeding but still my rear passenger side drum seems to be sticking. Drum gets very hot and sometimes smokes. When all was reassembled the wheel ran freely I. After applying handbrake it seems to stick. Even though it didn't when in the air on a quick lift drop of handbrake.

Any suggestions i haven't replaced drums, and didn't get a new fitting kit. Think maybe a should of got the fitting kit.

The car is a 53 Plate 1.9tdi 90hp

try spraying the hand brake lever that comes out of the rear of the brake drum with some wd while some one pulls the hand brake lever up and down. this might work try to use the small plastic pipe that comes with the wd 40 you need to get inside the rubber that goes around the lever at the rear of the drum

bill

My 51 plate Octy was plagued with the same symptoms.. Hot drum.... The problem was the handbrake cable on one side not releasing after being applied.

A temporary `fix` was to get my hand under the rear arch and give the cable a good shake before moving off. I fitted a new cable and its been free and cool since.

I don`t know whether your model has return springs on the cable,but my original one was pretty corroded and siezed, therefore not doing what it was designed to do very well .......

Right even after resetting shoes and not using handbrake shoes are still sticking/not fully returning. Think I'm going to remove the auto adjusters and see what happens

Not sure every time I have taken drum off (quite tricky) the wedge had moved down quite far. But once I moved the wedge back up the shoes retracted and all becomes free for a few mins worth of driving. It even happens when I reset the shoes and don't use handbrake

Have you got the lips on the wheel cylinder pistons around the back of the shoes? they keep them from rubbing against the back plate. Also, i filed down the ends of each shoe pad, to stop edges biting. Next thing i would do is swap out the cylinders for new ones, they may be partially seized. All i can think of mate

Edited by Lofty79

I'll check the lips on the cylinders. I have replaced one so possible that I got them wrong way round. I sure I remember one being wrong way round

Thanks for all the ideas guys. If not she's booked in on friday but I have to go to gatwick tomorrow

Ok cannot use car without wedges otherwise pedal sinks to floor even after pressure bleeding. Once wedges are back in brakes work great but still stick at rear without use of handbrake. I'm guessing that maybe I havent got them back together correctly

heres an idea, if you remove the small wedge again, and take out the little pocket between the front seats, just behind the handbrake, and adjust the handbrake so its at 3 clicks, this will take up the slack that the wedge takes up keeping the shoes close to the drum, this means the cylinder doesnt have far to go and you shouldnt get pedal to the floor scenario.

the common denominator seems to be the small adjuster wedge, if you remove it and give it a good sand and clean up, and give it some copper grease and replace, if its rusty it may be jamming. As you say you have new shoes but the adjuster is dropping right down, is the spring and support assembly in the right place?

Edited by Lofty79

Thanks for all your help guys I feel like such an idiot. After tightening handbrake cable up all now seems fine no sticking and handbrake holds and releases. Just a novice error as have never done shoes before.