2012 Golf R "engine replacement" under warranty.....issues!

Hi all,

I currently work and live in Muscat, Oman and want everyone's advice ASAP on this issue if you'd be so kind.

A good Omani friend bought a new Golf R, 4 months ago from the VW dealer here.....it recently unfortunately had an engine issue and they've told him it will get a new engine under warranty.

They've put his car outdoors with bonnet up and at the moment temps reach 45 to 50 deg C in the day sun and approx 35 deg C at night....it's been sat outside there in their yard for 3+ weeks now open to dust and crud!

From pics below it seems they've only removed the head and left block and pistons uncovered!! Can't imagine this ever being done in my experience......car should be undercover in clean shade with a cover over the block?!

I've made a list for him of what i think are the major crazy errors they've made including:

Uv from sun will affect all rubber and plastic in the engine bay and make it brittle.

Why is bonnet up??

If engine being replaced why Is block still there?

Why is engine uncovered??!

They've said all hoses will be replaced, but still.....

Can you all add your thoughts after seeing pics? He is meeting the manager tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dan

bonnetup.jpg

engine.jpg

Edited by Race Blue vRS

I've told him if it were my I'd push for a new car.......I think he hinted at this and they gave him some standard reply about it being under warranty and any issues will be resolved......that's not the point though is it! With a new car you don't want the knowledge of things being replaced or the hassle of things going wrong and visiting the dealer repeatedly.

What advice does he expect?

He needs to push it with VW and send the pictures to them.

He must have enough brain to do a job that allows him to afford to buy one, so he is not stupid,

and if he has accepted the repair rather than rejecting the vehicle outright that was his choice.

So it is a case of him expecting his car to be treated with care and having a perfect vehicle returned,

or rejecting it now.

Thats what he has to tell them, but i do not know consumer rights out there or what is considered acceptable customer service.

george

Edited by sk4gw

Surely the heads were removed to check the engine under workshop conditions

&

when discovered it was one of the engines with 'ring' or piston problems, it was left as untill the new engine arrives. so block still in situ.

(i might of wraped them in 'cling film' untill removed.

The bonnet is open because it can not be closed with the Brace left in place.

The garage or storage doors are open so are they air conditioned or just as hot if the cars were in there,

only difference being they would not be not in direct sunlight?

I doubt the heat & dust getting in the Engine compartment can be much different from running an 'R' out there in that heat!

You do not have sealed & air conditioned engine compartments on vehicles out there do you?

george

I've rejected a car with engine troubles and won.

I do agree with some of Georges points.

In my eyes when x amount of an engine has been opened, fiddled with, or replaced, it ceases to be fit for purpose on a relatively new car. That's just my personal opinion and experience. A lot of the matter is how it's dealt with and the procedures that have been followed, or in some cases, not...

Surely the heads were removed to check the engine under workshop conditions

&

when discovered it was one of the engines with 'ring' or piston problems, it was left as untill the new engine arrives. so block still in situ.

(i might of wraped them in 'cling film' untill removed.

The bonnet is open because it can not be closed with the Brace left in place.

The garage or storage doors are open so are they air conditioned or just as hot if the cars were in there,

only difference being they would not be not in direct sunlight?

I doubt the heat & dust getting in the Engine compartment can be much different from running an 'R' out there in that heat!

You do not have sealed & air conditioned engine compartments on vehicles out there do you?

george

+1

UV isn't a problem for the engine bay - all the parts will be UV stable.

The engine hasn't been removed, as this would open all the systems to dust. I might have been tempted to stick the engine mounts back in, so I could remove the support and put the bonnet down, but it would only be for PR reasons.