MFSW - Power supply failure

VRS-LE-OCT-II

Chaps, any good threads to read about this, Yoda was being driven at 20-30mph, full lock turning right bumped up our driveway kerb, good lady heard a loud crack and airbag light came on, Skoda Roadside assistance called, chap has said it is a known fault - booked in for repair, happened to anyone else, he mentioned something about power supply plates coming apart in the steering wheel. No MFSW functions, and airbag will still deploy. Any relevant threads would be handy for me to browse through.

Lowered kerb at entrance to driveway. Been doing the same thing since we got the car, loud bang and MFSW gave up the ghost. Knowing what the Yeti can do in 4x4 mode it is a bit disconcerting our driveway entance can do this to the steering wheel, as I said RAC chap says it is a well known fault, hence asking the team here.

Well as it has never been mentioned here in the past I think that the RAC man may have been talking out of his anal orifice. :giggle:

Certainly had no problem with mine off-road.

Well bumping across our driveway 1 inch high, car on full lock, I assume 20mph, caused a crack from the wheel, airbag light to go on, and all MFSW funcftion to stop. RAC guy who arrived (who'd actually been at a Skoda Yeti launch in Scotland where the beast was driven through a river) told wife he'd heard of this before, power disc/plates had come apart thus loss of power [thus function] to buttons on MFSW.

Believe me, I am not one to spread false rumours about the 3rd Skoda I've had but his views are pretty spot on with the state of our lovely beast. And I am not saying you have not had any problem going 4x4 (neither have we!) but at full lock and over a slight bump in the road power has ceased in the MFSW, I just thought maybe someone else had a similar issue. Car is lodged with dealer for repair, I'll report back once we get it back for future reference.

I'm not doubting your word, but if it was a common problem, or had even happened to someone, then it is likely that it would have been mentioned on here. There is no mention, therefore I take MR RACman's comments as "being a well known fault" with a very large pinch of salt.

And since the relevant components are found on many other vehicles in the VAG range I can't find reference to the problem elsewhere either.

I think you've just been unlucky, and that can happen to anyone.

Reading some interesting posts on other Briskoda forums about MFSW failure in cold conditions, although mines was a mechanical impact by the sound of it, "slip rings" (which I assume supply power between steering column and MFSW) as I mention I'll keep all informed and add to those threads for future reference.

The majority of cars even with just a steering wheel mounted horn and airbag have 'slip rings'; come across and read about 'contact/power' failures and 'condensation' issues but failing due to shock impact through the steering column is a new one, on me anyway.

The ring is item 4 on this parts list page;

http://vagcats.info/...238/666/9/14155

TP

For future reference chaps if anyone has the same problem, dealer replaced the slip ring which is listed as faulty, which had become detached from the spring clock - thus power failure. All working again. But interesting that the thing became loose by turning over a kerb (lowered).