Road Feel Through Foot Pedals And Steering Help!

Ever since I've had my vRS i've all ways felt what I call road feel through the steering wheel and through the foot pedals. For instance if I'm driving along anything else than a completely smooth road I can feel this through the pedals and wheel. If I rest my foot against the clutch pedal (not on it) I can feel a vibration in conjuction with what the road surface is (if you know what I mean). A couple of months ago I changed from 17" spiders to 18" rs4 reps but the feeling was there even with the spiders on so I don't think its due to my wheels. There is no noise created by this feeling/Vibration so dont think that its wheel bearings, but I could be wrong? The feeling is still there if I knock the car into to neutral while travelling along so I dont believe its clutch related. So where does this leave me? Does anyone have any ideas as its thoroughly spoiling my enjoyment of the car....even to the point that I've been looking at other cars to buy! Please help.

Cheers

H

I like the feel, it talks to you and lets you know whays going on(feedback) what car did you come from? maybe a character thing, and 18's will highlight it a bit

it could also be a popsical stuck in your flux capacitor... :wonder:

Is that a ufamism (unsure how to spell) i know someone else that happened to, don't know what he was playing at

Its defo not DMF as I don't have one - G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch. Also I get no vibration at idle. I have a brand new THS uprated Dog bone fitted and torqued to the correct settings so its not that either. As said this has been there the whole time I've had the car. It defo feels related to wheel rotation so I suppose logically it could be driveshafts, CV joints (all thugh no clicking when turning etc), wheel bearings, possibly brakes?

Or you could be just experiencing what is commonly referred to as "feel". Which is generally accepted to be a Good Thing™

• Like 1

I really don't think its right the way the car feels. I came from a 280BHP VX Signum 2.8T V6 which was lowered on Eibachs and running 19's and never had any of this. Infact I've never felt this with any other car I've driven and I've driven a lot.

Its defo not DMF as I don't have one - G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch. Also I get no vibration at idle. I have a brand new THS uprated Dog bone fitted and torqued to the correct settings so its not that either. As said this has been there the whole time I've had the car. It defo feels related to wheel rotation so I suppose logically it could be driveshafts, CV joints (all thugh no clicking when turning etc), wheel bearings, possibly brakes?

if you lift off the throttle while driving and the rough feel is gone , then is a transmission/CV joints problem.

If is permannent then is a bearing or maybe more than one.

I can still feel it with the car in neutral and costing along the feeling doesn't go. Its very hard to describe as its not a permanent thing as in - as soon as I get in the car and drive it does it straight away for the whole journey. My drive to work is roughly 10 miles and I'd say that I can get a good couple of miles into the drive before it starts happening but it will definitely happen at some point.

a signum even lowered is a soft car by comparison and heavy, and they have that electronic steering pump too, i think it is just feel and road noise, thats a proper car: man/vehicle/road all working together. enjoy the feedback, youve some stiff bushing, race clutch/flywheel, stiff tyres, the car is going to talk to you.

Just noticed its intermittent, is it only rough roads, does it do it on smooth roads too? Hows your tracking?

Edited by Lofty79

It does appear to be rougher roads. If the road is completely smooth then no feeling. I only had the 4 wheel aligment done two weeks ago so don't think its that either?

Youve just got used to vauxhall as babs says theyre not known for real feel. It is a good thing, just get used to it, your octy is obviously stiff in the bushes and solid flywheel will let you feel that, and the steering, feedback is essential particularly in racing. Oh and unless clutch is depressed there should be no pressure on the pedal whatsoever it causes premature clutch wear, so change and release right off.

I did all my bushes etc and put 17 inch wheels on and even i can tell if they have used gloss or matt for the road markings.

• Like 1

Cheers for your input Lofty, I did say that my foot is rested against the pedal not on it (as in the side of the pedal) so no worries about clutch wear. I still don;t think the car is right though but I'll just see how it goes. Maybe even try and drive another to see how it compares.

Cool. I think I'll start by replacing the whishbone bushes, ball joints and track rod ends see if that makes any difference. Any suggestions on where to buy decent parts from as I don't want to pay stealer prices and my local tps will not supply the general public.

I'm suspicious of the wheel bearings. I had a slight buzz through the footrest for about a year, then about Christmas a noise started which I put down to worn front tyres. Last month I got new tyres, and an advisory for an LHF bearing. Replaced bearing and all is smooth and quiet again.

Think the possible offenders have been highlighted

Never really driven any VAG car with great feedback tbh, in fact they are kind of famous for it LOL, the octavia with all the uprated bits on the suspension / running gear has def given a lot more back mind :)

Maybe just used to the VX220 stuff which gives a hell of a lot of feedback

DG

Check out PSI Tuning - they're doing front end suspension refresh kits, good value for OEM stuff compared with aftermarket stuff from ECP/GSF