advice from pro's needed.

hunker7

Hi guys!

I was washing my Octy today, and noticed that rust starts to come out in many places(i.e. Front wing, tailgate etc.). As much as I would like full re-spray, i can't justify spending £1000 on £1500 car. So I've been thinking IF i could do it myself, just fix rusty spots and paint them. Looked at air compressors, spray guns and tents. I know there is many coats needed. So maybe there is someone here with expierience?

Second thing is that there is terrible noise coming from tailgate, i assume those are plastics, I have taken them off, i can't find anything bad with them, but noise is just annoying. Any ideas?

Have anyone used touch-up pencil? - any good?

Thanks for help. :nerd:

How many spots of rust have you got? Might be worth just getting them panels done, then get them done over time.

Doing a DIY on paint/body work is never going to look good if you ask me, especially if this is not your trade.

touch up pens are good for a couple of stone chips but will be useless against a patch of rust.

If you are not massively bothered about the appearance of your car (show and shine worthy) then i guess you could have a crack at an area that is not immediately obvious. theres loads of guides and how to steps and a Haynes manual on prepping and painting.

I suppose it all depends on the level of finish you want to achieve, If it was mine it would be at a garage but its something thats getting on abit now and will not make back the money, get a few rattle can's, dont bother buying expensive compressors/guns/paints ect

BTW im guessing this is Mk1? As of yet (touch wood!) I've never seen a Mk2 with any rust at all.

Threre is some rust on front wing, rear wing and tailgate. Front wing isn't a problem, easy to take it off, but rear wing comes off with side skirt and the top bit. I don't have a garage, so that's an issue. I've been thinking about compressor anyways.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_221343_langId_-1_categoryId_165580

Edited by hunker7

Some mk1's will be over 12 years old now should think? Also this can be abit of hit and miss. They will only cover it there are a few other cases that are exactly the same.

I.E The Mk4 Golf suffered with really bad rust of the both wings and VW finally offered to cover the costs but the patch of rust i had on the bottom of the door they would not cover as they said this was due to negligence, its sometimes not worth the paper its written on