Fresh Paint

So, someone bumped my front bumper and i got it painted.

Spent yesterday getting rid of the overspray...

I had got rid of most of the dealers swirls when i bought it last year, but had the excuse to give it a full going over!

Ph Neutral Snowfoam - Zymol Wash - CYC Claybar - Megs Scratch X (where needed) - Menzerna 2500 - Menzerna 3000 - CG Jetseal - CG Hardcore Carnuba...

On to my question...

I left the front bumper, painter says I need to wait a couple of weeks before doing anything.

Anyone know how long i need to wait?

And a pic for you all! (click to enlarge)

DSC_3460.jpg

Edited by marTTyn

You need to get the full story from the painter with forked tonque, because he gives us painters a bad name.

What is it he Painted it with

& why is he not removing the Over spray he allowed to form?

The vehicle Refurbishing business is going to be damn slow if we can not touch up and refinish or re spray cars and turn them out fully polished and shining within 48 hours.

I finished painting a car last night at 11pm and will be buffing and polishing it later today, the customer picks it up tomorrow morning.

george

Not disagreeing with you, bit what is the logic in not waxing for 2 months, surely nice new paintwork is

During drying, paint release gasses out. When you seal it you block this process, it might cause "fisheye" sometime.

Lot of similar warnings available in detailingworld forum ;)

Hi George, it was water based paint used. It was done by a smart repairer.

Im not too worried about getting off the overspray and polishing myself, been a keen detailer for a while now.

Not wanting to cause arguments, just want to know how long i should be waiting, if at all? It has stood untouched for a little over a week now.

Wilko - shot with a sigma 8-16

You best listen to him then, he will know his preperation and product and he is the one providing the guarantee on his work,

& because i never use Water-Based paint on cars, even for repairs.

Just watch that red for any colour change from the rest, because the standard Skoda Red is pretty good for no fade.

(my own paint for a 2010 was slightly off and i needed another mix of paint, 'cave 8151')

I would hate to think you gave it a bit of a rub and ended up with a cloth full of red paste.

(no humour intended)

george

In Turkey, After painting the car, people goes and wax their car after 2 days only. I never seen any bad things about it. I had almost 8 cars and painted all of them and waxed them after 24 hours. Never got any problem tho.

Spoke to the repairer, told him i was getting confused with how long i should be waiting.

He explained it is different for different prep methods and different types of pain as said above.

He said I should be waiting at least another couple of weeks.

Not too worried as the process on the front will be mostly protection anyway.

Just going for the same as above but without the menz 2500.

Clay - Menzerna 3000 - CG Jetseal - CG Hardcore Carnuba...

Just need to sit tight!