Broken wife's car

Hi folks,

So I was trying to correct a basic egr issue by removing the throttle body, and giving it a clean. Looked easy, removed the 4 bolts, cleaned it using some carb cleaner, being careful with where it went. Great job, 30 mins later put it back together.

Then I started the car. 1.4 16v bbz. Lots of warning lights. Erratic idle, which settled to a stable idle at about 1100rpm but with no throttle response. I have a basic fAult code reader which brought up codes 17961 and 17912.

I've done some research and it sounds like others have come across the same thing. Is this just a case of doing a throttle and egr adaptation? I've taken the car to a garage because I don't have the equipment to do this.

I honestly don't know what I got wrong? Anyone else had this, or can offer wisdom. Anything that you can advise me to advise the garage to do?

Thanks

Mark

If its at a decent garage, then you dont need to be telling them what to do (be a good customer now!!).

By the sounds of it, you have left off a gasket when replacing the items or left a bolt out / knocked out a vac hose - as its pointing to an air leak.

Did you unplug the electrical connector to the throttle body to take it off and clean it, if so this could be your problem.

Yup. If it's been unplugged then it needs resetting with VCDS.

Should be a quick 5 minute job. It just forces the throttle body to run through a little self test to see where fully open and fully closed etc is.

Phil

• Like 1

I thought, as far as the TB was concerned, you just switch the ignition on, don't start the engine, and wait 5 minutes, during this time period you should hear the throttle flap motor driving to its end stops to perform an adaption - job done. I've got VCDS so just used it. If you are refitting the original EGR valve, then it should not need re-adapting as it (the car) will still have its initial adaption figures to work on, I did perform adaption on mine after cleaning it, but that might not have been smart as it can't get as "low" as the original end stop figures were - so maybe I didn't clean it up enough or its aged.

Edited by rum4mo