Im looking at buying a turbo diesel - but on a limited budget :-(

Someone at work is selling a 2002 Mk1 TDI hatchback - Elegance model but Im really after other people's thoughts on this one..

No proper history after approx 35k, now on its 3rd owner and 103k on the clock.

It had a £400 recon turbo fitted at 80k... and its apparently had its cam belt done.

Also the climate control doesnt blow cold.

Condition of bodywork is pretty good (better than my 80k '04 model) and underneath seams better than average.

How much is this likely to be worth in todays climate?

turbo failure = big bucks so look after it for gods sake!

The air con may be a case of the magnetic clutch falling off the pump. This happened on mine. If you do the job yourself (its quite easy) it should cost you about £40-60 for another pump which you can salvage the clutch off. I fixed this on mine and it didn't even need a regass after atleast a year of non use. Check my previous posts/pictures for details of that one.

If there is no proof of the cambelt being changed it hasn't been done. If you assume its been done and it snaps your engine is ******. It cost me £350 to get my belt + tensioners etc etc changed with a genuine VAG part which comes with a guarantee.

Do you mind me asking why you are changing from your current octavia to this one? If you have a 1.6 with air con I wouldn't bother. The diesel feels quicker but i think in practice its not that much quicker. The cost to change cars will most likely offset fuel savings unless you are doing huge mileage. I assume you own one from your little profile bit!

Why worry about a cambelt on such a cheap car? Have a look, no odd noises, and if it isn't loose or in shreds, no point replacing it. The cost/risk ratio just doesn't stack up (for me anyway).

Edit to say, sorry, but the 1.9TDi is vastly superior in every way to the 1.6 petrol!

Edited by Kandy

I would agree the TDI is far better than the petrol. When i was buying I tried both in quick succession. I just don't think it makes sense to switch between the two especially when the diesel has some potential small problems that most people would want to sort. IE the aircon.

If you can sell your current car for a good price though it makes sense :)

Why is your work mate selling the car? Has it started to go wrong? I thought most people with diesel Octys kept them till they fell to pieces (certainly once they get over the 5 year old bracket). I plan on keeping mine till it dies or it really annoys me.