Just annual oil changes on VRS TSI to 40k?

Hi All

Sorry for starting another service thread, but I've been busy and still haven't organised my 3rd (30k) annual service.

Dealer is saying that this is just oil change (as per first and second service) plus brake fluid change. It appears air filter, plugs etc due are not due till 40k on the petrol VRS. Service book seems to back this up, but I am surprised at the lack of maintenance - is this right?

Could also do with some new wiper blades - any idea of cost and where best to get them. Dealers always seem to charge top whack when fitting them at a service.

Cheers

Jon

wipers are easy to fit, not sure on dealer cost, but you can get on fleabay cheap (around £17 to £20 for fronts) in fact £18.17...from eurocarparts with its 31% off plus free del!

I have my 3yr - 3rd service next week, it is only an oil change... when I had my 1st service it only took 45 mins! on my second they did do the pollen filter

I was initially told they would do the pollen filter at the second service. I've now been told that's not due until 40k either

I don't know what the real interval is these days, but I'd suggest that at about £10, I'd do it every time.

It's easy so if the dealer charges lots for fitting it, then just buy it yourself and you can do it in 5 minutes.

It's next years (fourth) service that you need to be prepared for, this is the biggie as you'll need a cambelt (£299) and a water pump (£69) as well as a major service (£249).

My dealer quoted me £39 for the front wipers, fitted.

I picked up a set of Bosch ones on eBay for £20 delivered and fitted them myself.

The pollen filter should be done every 10,000 miles, it's listed on both the minor and major service on Skoda's National Pricing policy. You can pick them up on eBay for under a tenner and they take minutes to fit...

SkodaNationalPricing-Servicing.jpg

There is actually more protection through eBay, some argue there is too much as it is open to abuse.

If the seller is unable to prove delivery and you open a dispute eBay will instigate a full refund everytime.

Pay with PayPal (fee free for the buyer) and you get even more protection.

Oh, and versus the dealer it is delivered to your door too.

• Like 1

It's next years (fourth) service that you need to be prepared for, this is the biggie as you'll need a cambelt (£299) and a water pump (£69) as well as a major service (£249).

Doubt it as it is a TFSI.....

....and as for need, hmmmm.

Thanks for all the input. The TSI is chain driven, so I'm not anticipating a cambelt change or water pump at 40,000!

Anybody got a link to the correct wipers and pollen filter for the FL Octavia from EBay?

Thanks for all the input. The TSI is chain driven, so I'm not anticipating a cambelt change or water pump at 40,000!

Anybody got a link to the correct wipers and pollen filter for the FL Octavia from EBay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-MK2-BOSCH-FLAT-WIPER-BLADES-04-09-A937S-/120621575051?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c159b2b8b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-VW-AUDI-SEAT-POLLUTION-FILTER-1K2819653B-/380408747857?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AOctavia&hash=item589220d751

You can probably get for around the same price from Euro Car Parts using the BRISK25 discount code.

it is very confusing, Audi's 08' spec on flex servicing is even more odd at times. most VAG vehicles now are on variable servicing *service light coming on between 9 to 18k and maximum of 24months depending on driving style. Fixed service intervals are 12 months or 10k regardless. Vehicles on variable need to use longlife oil, those on fixed fully synthetic oil.

Garages 90% of the time will just reset the service light after a service via the dash meaning the ecu reverts to fixed servicing. If a garage resets the service light via the ecu *guided fault finding the vehicle will remain on variable service. Good quality however wrong grade oil used on fixed service intervals isn’t a problem. Wrong grade of oil when on variable will result in the service light coming on early as it will degrade in the engine a lot faster than longlife oil. Short journeys and long spells of high rpm driving can result in the service light coming on sooner as the oil is degrading faster.

Below are some screen prints of the service maintenance and repair data we use for VAG non commercial vehicle.

vagsmr3.jpg

vagsmr1.jpg

vagsmr2.jpg

Any vag service info needed, feel free to pm me

david