A Scout Dilemma - Should I or not?

I really want a Octavia Scout FL with the 1.8tsi engine.

• Big boot for the all the stuff that kids bring.
  • Girlfriend likes the looks and it feels safe without being too big.
  • I like the engine and the 4x4 (I have an A4 quattro and it has proved its worth countless times!)
  • Plus no potential diesel problems
  • Possibility of a Shark re-map - more torque with 4 wheel drive mmmm.....
  • We only do 8-9000 miles per year

But there are not many about and they are quite expensive - especially if you want some extra toys - maxi dot, MFSW, xenons etc.

However I have found a 2010, with leather, in a nice colour - but no maxi dot (really want that) and no other options. But with 65,000 miles. However it is £5,000 cheaper than anything else out there - which means I could spend some cash and spec it up with some possible retro fits!.

• Am I asking for trouble with the mileage? It would be out of warranty as it would be in its 3rd year but over the 60,000 mile limit, so if things went wrong.....deep pockets.
  • Could it be retro fitted with maxi dot and MFSW (not too sure with it being a FL and if there is anything special about the Scout)? Columbus maybe later.
  • Would love Xenons but that might be a retro fit too far!?

Would it worth it or should I wait for a few months and see what comes up around September?

Any opinions on the 1.8tsi Scout, retro fitting stuff welcome!

Thank you for your time!

If this realy is a genuine bargain price what about getting it see how you go and perhaps look at a trade in later when the right one comes along with the full spec and lower mileage if that is impoertant..

I have a standing search on autorader for scout(currently 84 I remember it being in the 20's for ages) so there have been a ot more around over the last year but only 11 1.8 not sure how many speced up..

have you looked at regular octavia 4x4(even fewer about or superb 4x4 seem to be similer money to scouts.

Do it, I'd have another Scout tomorrow.

They've stopped making them so used prices are only going to go one way. Up. Don't wait til September.

Doing 8-9K a year makes a petrol the perfect choice, also with that annual mileage buying one on 65K means you'll get a least another 10 years out of it!

Maxidot and MFSW are possible to retrofit but it can be complicated and the steering wheel isn't cheap. The Scout is already well specced as standard.

Luckily the Scout gets headlight washers and projector headlights as standard which makes fitting an aftermarket HID kit less of a hassle and will look OEM when fitted. OK, so you won't have self levelling but this shouldn't cause issues come MOT time, just be concious of the fact you have them and remember to manually adjust the beam height (using the control on the dashboard) if you have folks in the back or gear in the boot.

The Columbus is over rated in my opinion and can be expensive - especially compared with a TomTom. The facelift Scouts have the Bolero which has the SD card slot - for me at least this would be all I'd ever need.

• Like 1

We've got a 1.8TSI Scout with maxi dot and xenon's (sorry!). It's a lovely car and goes really well. It's our second car so only does a small mileage as well and the extra cost for the diesels was difficult to justify, especially as we won't have the cam belt to worry about in 3 years time. If you can find one then I would go for it. If you buy the one you're looking at from a main dealer then they'll give you a years warranty with it so that would allay any fears about expensive repairs for a while. Whilst the maxi dot is very nice, the FL cars non-maxi dot display is much nicer than the pre-FL so I wouldn't let that omission put you off too much.

Thank you all for your advice and comments.

I have looked at the Superb 4x4 and it is very nice but is a bit on the large size and my girlfriend is not too keen on the thought of parking it. Regarding the 4x4 I just prefer the looks of the Scout.

I am having to think hard about this particular Scout. It is a private sale which is one of the reasons why it is more cost effective. Being a private sale there is little comeback if something goes wrong and but it is only 2 years old. I would have to see if the Skoda extended warranty would be a possibility even though it appears to be available on cars when initially ordered.

We intend to keep it for 4-5 years. So I doubt whether this one with 100,000 miles would be worth £5,000 less than a 50,000 when they are both 7 years old - even a fully loaded one.

I may have to go and have a good hard look at it. And see about getting Maxidot retro fitted!!

In our family we have an A4 quattro Avant (B7) with colour DIS and a Scout without Maxidot or Xenons. I don't feel like I'm missing anything, although I have invested in a VCDS to tinker with all the VW product we (will) have.

I think Maxidot was more of a game changer on the pre-facelift cars, but if I'm honest I've never seen it myself to appreciate what I might be missing.

My B6 has the basic DIS with very little functionality but the best thing is that it tells me which door is left a jar (I am forever leaning against the key fob in the house and unlocking the boot). I think that it is only Maxidot that shows you the car and the which door is open.

Jeeves which car do you prefer the b7 A4 or the Scout? (The boot on Avant is not great which is one of the motivations to possibly change the car plus mine is a Sport which means no suspension).

Ours is a 170PD S line Special Edition in Phantom black and with black optics (no chrome) and privacy glass for the "stealth" look. On 40 profile tyres yo feel the road with the standard s-line suspension, but the car is so much more dynamic than the Scout. If I had to choose one car for everything - including being the one I was happier leaving parked in more vulnerable locations (or even attitudes, like halfway up a verge), then it would have to be the Scout.

The A4 does so much right though if you need to travel long distances although you're right that the boot space is much less. Not normally an issue to us since you can't stack dogs, but large suitcases fit upright in the Scout which is my choice for leaving in airport long-stay car parks.

My A4 has never even had a DPF light come on in its 50k miles from new. It's fully loaded with spec, and aside from the injector issue, has been faultless - making it very difficult to part with. I want the next owner to appreciate it as much as I do. Just hope the Scout matches up as regards reliability.

The Special Edition is lovely and I have looked at a couple but it has the same size boot as mine. How sad is it to be buying a car based on the boot size!!

Mine has the 2.5V6 diesel and sounds lovely and is so, so nice on the motorway but has a really short 1st gear and harsh ride that makes town driving quite tedious. It's is also quite cramped in the back for passengers and low down which is making it awkward for aged parents getting in and out.

The Scout seems to be a good compromise with space and grace. And they do look a little bit special and have the road presence to hold its own with larger SUVs that seem to hunt in packs everywhere.

Scouts are cracking cars. Private sales from first owner are generally good. If that car fell into the trade with 65K & pre first MOT it may well get clocked. 65K for a car these days is nothing as long as its had the oil changes. Our Diesel is just over 60K in 2 years & we have no issues with anything on the car after its few niggles (rattles etc) were fixed when it was new. Superb 4x4 etc are comparable on price but have fallen a way to reach this level & will probably continue to fall faster than the Scout

Re retro fits Xenons on the Scout are OK but nothing wonderful, they have a distinct blind spot when turning right on dip so I wouldnt waste money on them. If the stock lights arent enough get some better bulbs.

As others have said Scouts are getting rarer & come the cold weather prices will firm up

I think Maxidot was more of a game changer on the pre-facelift cars, but if I'm honest I've never seen it myself to appreciate what I might be missing.

Only thing I would miss as we go abroad a lot is switching the Xenons through the maxidot to the other side, the rest is just toys, nice to have but not essential, yes I would spec it again but no way would I waste money retro fitting it

A4s are notoriously firm, and in fact give a harsher ride than an S line TT running lower profile 35 tyres on 19" wheels.

If you're running 235/40 18 tyres on your A4, a conversion to 245 will get you a marginal increase in tyre wall height, but you may already be on 235/45 17 if its a B6. The Scout runs on 225/50 17, but now mine are almost finished I will replace them with some all-seasons (they fit the TT too) and revert to the 245/45 18 offroad tyres which are an option on the allroad. Although ride height increases by 1cm (handy through floods and snow) the ride is not adversely affected. The well-reviewed Hankook Optimo 4S is not available in the Scout size, although the smaller 235/45 17 might fit the rim despite being wider than recommended.

Being a private sale there is little comeback if something goes wrong and but it is only 2 years old.

Don't worry, they come with three years warranty which is transferable to the new owner so you'll get one year worry free motoring with the option to extend the warranty at the end.

Don't worry, they come with three years warranty which is transferable to the new owner so you'll get one year worry free motoring with the option to extend the warranty at the end.

Its done over 60K so out of warranty but that wouldnt worry me, they are so incredibly reliable

Edited by Stuart_J

I have a 10 plate 1.8TSI Scout, bought October 2010 and love it. It was a bit of an impulse buy, at a very good price and just undet 6K miles so I jumped at it (owner was moving abroad and wanted a quick sale to pay off finance). Only options it had were full sized spare and removable tow bar, but plenty of bells and whistles anyway. Load space is great and ride is very good, having come from a much harder riding car. Now has 47K on the clock and been totally reliable. :thumbup: I'd have another in a heartbeat.

It looks like I might have to go and have a very close look at it. I am hoping that it has not been used as mobile skip or as target practice for shopping trollies. I not too sure how well the leather / Alcantara interior holds up to wear.

Is there anything else I need to look at / keep in mind - apart from delaminating alloys - when looking at it as I wont be able to take it back and get repaired!

Now has 47K on the clock and been totally reliable. :thumbup: I'd have another in a heartbeat.

I hope that if I get it it is as reliable as yours!

And Jeeves my A4 runs on 235/45/R17 and it is quite harsh. I believe that my Sport is much firmer than your S-Line / Special Edition. I think that for the B7 they made suspension just rattle your spine rather shatter it!

Thank you all for your advice!

Edited by 180quattro

It looks like I might have to go and have a very close look at it. I am hoping that it has not been used as mobile skip or as target practice for shopping trollies. I not too sure how well the leather / Alcantara interior holds up to wear.

Is there anything else I need to look at / keep in mind - apart from delaminating alloys - when looking at it as I wont be able to take it back and get repaired!

I hope that if I get it it is as reliable as yours!

And Jeeves my A4 runs on 235/45/R17 and it is quite harsh. I believe that my Sport is much firmer than your S-Line / Special Edition. I think that for the B7 they made suspension just rattle your spine rather shatter it!

Thank you all for your advice!

They are generally solid cars, look for the usual things to get an idea of how its been looked after, Interiors are pretty robust so should still look good if its been cared for, It will have a few chips with that mileage & I always take that as a sign of a genuine car. If its imaculate it may be a sign of accident repairs or could always be an owner who really cares.

If you are unsure buying cars get the costs of an AA or similar inspection. If you like it you can then agree a deal subject to an inspection if you need reasurance.

If you know a good mechanic go that route & bung him a few quid, your local garage may have someone who can help. Be wary of taking mates who recion they know about cars unless you really trust them

Edited by Stuart_J