sat Nav

suzyfluz

We took Etta down to West Wittering yesterday and although I know the route I thought I would try out the sat nav installed in her to see what route we were given.

Ok so I get onto the A3 towards Portsmouth and the sat nav proceeds to tell me I will be driving on this road for 'a very long time'

Has anyone else had this told to them??? Very odd. Never before have I heard a sat nav say this.

Also before she tells me to take a turn say to the right she hesitates for a second.

So she will say for example ' in 300 yards take a turn to the ..... right '

Is my sat nave just odd or is she the norm????

We used ours on the run down from Manchester when we picked it up. "...a long time" seems to be pretty standard and is probably it's way of telling you to relax and stick on cruise control.

I was also impressed with the integration with the traffic service which had it re-routing a couple of times during the journey. Now to decide whether to go for fastest or more economical route...

"a long time" usually means 20 km, after which, the actual distance to the next "event" is shown.

The Columbus also quotes a long time which in the UK seems to be anything over 12 miles.

But, I have mine on silent 99% of the time.

My Columbus says 'a long time' for anything over 10 miles, it would seem. Not helpful - the Garmin we use in my wife's car always tells you an actual distance (eg when driving down through France on the autoroute recently, 'stay on this road for 197 miles!).

Truthseaker does yours hesitate before she says left or right??

The delay is caused by her checking which hand her wedding ring is on to decide whether the turn is left or right ;)

I'll get my coat...

My Columbus says 'a long time' for anything over 10 miles, it would seem. Not helpful - the Garmin we use in my wife's car always tells you an actual distance (eg when driving down through France on the autoroute recently, 'stay on this road for 197 miles!).

I've never been 100% happy the Amunsden in my Yeti, in terms of accuracy etc. Yesterday I set up my Gramin and Amunsden to the same parameters, shortest route etc for my journey home from work (about 30km). The Amunsden was 20 minutes out on the Garmin and suggested the most indirect route.

Truthseaker does yours hesitate before she says left or right??

Yes it does. I also a little bit disappointed that there are no speed alerts - but hey, it was essentially a "freeby" on the Urban so can't really complain. The traffic alert system is very good and I never use the DAB radio just FM. So all in all very pleased as the good points far outweigh the bad ones.

We took Etta down to West Wittering yesterday and although I know the route I thought I would try out the sat nav installed in her to see what route we were given.

Ok so I get onto the A3 towards Portsmouth and the sat nav proceeds to tell me I will be driving on this road for 'a very long time'

Has anyone else had this told to them??? Very odd. Never before have I heard a sat nav say this.

Also before she tells me to take a turn say to the right she hesitates for a second.

So she will say for example ' in 300 yards take a turn to the ..... right '

Is my sat nave just odd or is she the norm????

Yes, we ave it too! We think that from our recent experiences, anything over 5 miles is "a long time"!

We've also noticed the slight hesitation. We've also noticed that when crossing a national border, the sat nav issues a warning and it's like "she" was going to say something else but decides not to!

Not knowing how old the "sat nav lady" is we've put it down to a rather charming reminder of the Czech Republic's past when she didn't want to be caught giving too much information to western capitalists!!

Overall though, now that we're getting used to the Amundsen+ I'm rather liking it over my Tom Tom, especially the maxi dot display and the fact I don't have to remove it everytime we park.

It's found car parks that we use in both Innsbruck and Salzburg with no hitches whatsoever.

John

• Like 1

My dashboard Fraulein also tells me to "stay on this road for a long time" when it is anything over 10 miles to the next instruction. There is also the delay between telling me which way to go and she will always tell me to "bear right to Brigherton" when on the M27!

Ian

I do find the maxidot display "countdown" bar very useful when deciding which side street to take in towns.

Far better than the "in 80 yards turn right" I get from TomTom.

However the TomTom speed warning is badly missed.