So....I got my full wheel alignment done

When the car went in for its first service I was told there was some uneven tyre wear at the front. Knowing how nearly all cars in the VAG range suffer from this kind of problem - we have updated wheel geometry settings that don't seem to get applied at the factory, I took mine in for the full check on some Hunter equipment. The results were:

zwnrl.jpg

I am told by the technician (the company do a lot of accident repairs and he's literally done hundreds and hundreds of these) that my two red readings are about 1mm out and I'm not to worry about them. After reading on some other forums that opinion seems to be echoed (although if anyone else has any opinion I'd be interested to hear it).

So it would appear everything is alright, so I asked about the uneven tyre wear at the front and was told "Yes, there is a little bit of uneven wear there".

Little worried now as I make a point to keep all tyres correctly inflated I ask what might be the cause...."Probably making more turns in one direction that the other".

Turns out that the uneven tyre wear is that my right tyre is wearing down slightly quicker than the left - the actual wear on each tyre is perfect across the whole width - oh well, at least I know my geometry is as it should be.

There is no individual adjustment for caster angle ,Its a result of camber ,toe and KPI king pin inclination this all so is not adjustable ,

this is the angle of the strut ie does the strut go straight up or lean back or forward this will be set unless you fit adjustable top mounts ,its probably in red on your image because there isn't a value given hope this helps .

From memory, mine were further out when first measured. The two guys who did the job puffed and grunted a bit but I'm pretty sure the results were much closer. Certainly the fronts are wearing moreorless the same and flat across the tread. I have 3mm until the wear bars are through after about 22000 miles. Hankook ventus12 in 17x225x45. Plus the handling/steering precision of the car is vastly superior.

Maybe have checked again?

• 2 weeks later...

That caster is fine dispite red colour. As long its even - nothing to worry. Colour depend on settings choosen at the begining and might differ from car to car and trim to trim.

I think rear toe could be set a bit better. To much toe on left and not enough on right. Thats way thrust angle is 0,07 instead 0. Desent but not perfect job.

Caster and camber on front wheels are any adjustable in way by finding "happy middle" for both sides. That is all whats needed for good technician to make it right for vehicle with alignment issue. Its only a case of someone with equipment and will to do a job.

I have faith in the company I used to have the check done. It was no skin of their noise if they wanted to make adjustments, as I would have paid and they were charging "per adjustment"

The company in question do a lot of accident repair work, so know their way around the Hunter equipment.

Thats the problem... "within spec" - how about understanding what is what and how does it effect your driveability. Within spec is not enough.

Exactly, when I have had mine adjusted it has come out with both values at 0.00, as well as equal caster, toe and camber angles each side in the middle of the ranges.

I have faith in the company I used to have the check done. It was no skin of their noise if they wanted to make adjustments, as I would have paid and they were charging "per adjustment"

The company in question do a lot of accident repair work, so know their way around the Hunter equipment.

In this case I wish I never get to drive cars that come out from their hunter rig. I feel bad for their customers. What shows in your print-out is just lack or intrest to get it where REALLY should be but doing it - IT WILL BE FINE.

Sorry - that is just my 2 pence.

• Like 1