Shark Stage 2 2.0TSI installed today (review and dyno charts)

Hi All,

Finally the day came to have Sharks remap installed on my 2010 TSI Octy VRS (DSG)

Before I start to get into it all I just want to say that I've had a lot of remaps done over the years (more than 10!) and the service from Ben and the team at Shark is very good, the premises are immaculate.

Not at all like some tuners that meet you in a car park and install everything from the back of a van. Very professional and Ben spent a lot of time after talking to me about what the dyno graphs mean.

What is it like on the road?

To cut to the chase, the first thing I couldn't ignore was that extra 80NM of torque!!! the car pulls so hard in gear that the traction control light was lighting up like crazy, previously this only happened if the road was a little greasy but this was repeatedly on dry tarmac....I was grinning!

In 6th gear I can accelerate from 70 upwards like I'm in 4th

The car also pulls all the way up to the redline, where as before I found myself changing gear much earlier as it felt like it had run out of puff after 5.5K rpm.

While I was giving it a lot of right foot on the hour drive back, I noticed that on the motorway stretch I got 45mpg while cruising at 70mph, this needs some more testing but I never saw over 40 before.

So overall, after 1.5 hours of driving, it seems to be very good. Regardless of not making as much BHP as I expected, the whole driving experience is very good.

I'll update after I've put a few more miles on it.

Ron

post-25772-0-19496900-1344101625_thumb.jpg

just saw this review! interesting to see your results, I really want to get mines on a RR now, but havent been off work in weeks! I am convinced however that I am making more than 254HP, and the only thing I have that you dont is an Induction Kit......

The 319lbs of torque make it feel like more than 254bhp, I had a TFSI Octavia running stage 2 (bluefin) and this feels a lot quicker and without flat spots. As I didn't have the fuel pump, i used to get hesetation on that car.

• Like 1

Yeah, no fault codes on the car so not the best result on the BHP front but not many stage 1 cars making 319lbsft.

Pulls very very hard though so not a dissapointment overall plus seems to have solved my mpg issues. Was getting 25mpg in urban driving, now getting 28-32 and 45 on motorway at 70.

I know you have beef with Shark :)

Yeah, no fault codes on the car so not the best result for stage 2 on the BHP front but not many stage 1 cars making 319lbsft. Also dyno result for original map was also lower than the last time dyno'd

Pulls very very hard though so not a dissapointment overall plus seems to have solved my mpg issues. Was getting 20mpg in urban driving, now getting 28-32 and 45 on motorway at 70.

I know you have beef with Shark :)

No beef with Shark here lol. My personal opinion based on experience is the Revo remap for the tsi vRS is better and that's all I can comment on other than to say most people that work for Revo appear to be knobs and Shark has a reputation on here for providing good customer service and people seem happy with their remaps.

Edited by Guest

Yeah agreed, originally i was looking at Revo as they have the 20% off deal (£400 for st1 right now) but I realised a number of problems with that plan like no decent Revo dealers in the North East that i could find...

Hence left with Shark or Jabba, Jabba is 250 miles away so went with Shark as I've talking with Ben and the guys on and off for a while.

They delivered on everything I wanted, just bhp figure is about 5bhp down on what I expected....

but not many stage 1 cars making 319lbsft.

Shark stage 1 on my 2011 vRS is making 254bhp & 324lb. Totally standard other than the map.

Will put a dyno printout at some point but on my phone at the moment.

With regards to the Bapro dyno at Shark, it is known to give a lower (more realistic) result than others. So even more reason I was happy with the result I got :)

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers and put it down to the dyno lottery. If you want bigger numbers get in on one of Revo's independant dynos, should be good for about 300bhp lol. As long as you're happy with it that's the main thing.

Just noticed you're from Newcastle too so if you want to meet up and compare notes etc pm me.

Have to agree with this. I'm very happy with mine regardless of the dyno.

You will know yourself whether the car feels right, and thats all that matters :)

Exactly.

just saw this review! interesting to see your results, I really want to get mines on a RR now, but havent been off work in weeks! I am convinced however that I am making more than 254HP, and the only thing I have that you dont is an Induction Kit......

Out of interest which induction kit?

absolutely, its only an intake at the end of the day, but I found it made the car more responsive, and def added more power higher up the range in my stage 1 map.

But your forgetting the difference in ambient temp between the two runs. At PDT it was 10c at Shark it was 24c, plus it had probably been on the dyno getting setup and not had a chance to cool.

Take it to a Dyno on a cool day and I suspect different results.

But your forgetting the difference in ambient temp between the two runs. At PDT it was 10c at Shark it was 24c, plus it had probably been on the dyno getting setup and not had a chance to cool.

Take it to a Dyno on a cool day and I suspect different results.

Yeah I'm not convinced that it is only 254 as it feels like more, I had a 325bhp Jabba IHI powered mk1 octavia and that had a variable boost set up. Min boost made 255bhp and max made 325bhp. It feels like more than the lower boost setting on that car.

I thought they took ambient temp into account when they do the correction factor?

Cheers

Ron

I thought they took ambient temp into account when they do the correction factor?

Cheers

Ron

Yes you are right. Maybe it was suffering from heatsoak from the tuning? I would imagine it would take a while to cool down at 24 degrees.

I did 300 miles in it yesterday, mixed town, A roads and motorway. Driving through town for 30 mins without heavy traffic but mostly at 30mph I was getting an average of 28 mpg. On the motorway, cruising at 70 for an hour it was rocking back and forth between 44-45 mpg.

Considering this is a DSG car which are supposed to be a bit more thirsty, they are good figures for a 250bhp+ motor :)

I was getting an ave of 20-22mpg in town and never saw more then 40mpg on the motorway.

perhaps someone from Shark could comment on this?

We've been speaking to Hofmeister by PM.

At the end of the day the dyno is there as a tuning tool. If we had wanted to get a "nice" figure out of the car, then it would have been left on the dyno with the fans running for 15-20 mins to allow the car to cool (it does get hot in there, especially on summer days). On top of that, the car doesn't have an intake fitted.

As an example we tuned a 1.8TSI Superb on the dyno on Wednesday, figures were 198.5hp, we're happy with that. We ran it the next morning when the car was cool (of course letting it warm up to operating termperature first) and the car ran 209hp. That's the difference that hot/cold air can make.

I feel that the figure should be secondary and that fact that the car is tuned properly should be the most important thing. Yes it's stage 2 code, with tweaks to get the best from the car.

• Like 2