Engine Oil Pressure Warning Light

Hello again all.

Cheerfully driving our Fabia 1.4 Classic around this afternoon and, nearning home, the Engine Oil Pressure warning light came on with a loud beep. Only a mile home so - despite the "don't go any further whatever you do" alert in the manual - we returned to base with no ill effects.

Let engine cool down and noted no oil loss at all - everything seemed fine. Started up again and, as soon as reaching the end of the road the warning light is one again. Called out rescue service - very helpful chap from On-Time recovery had a look - confirmed no oil loss, looked into the oil filler and noted that the oil pump was clearly pumping oil round and therefore suggested that the oil pressue switch / sender / sensor had probably gone faulty. He suggested it was almost certainly fine to drive to the garage for a fix.

Anyone had any experience of this? Does the diagnosis sound reasonable? (If it is, it would be the third darn sensor that has failed on this vehicle - we've already replaced a power steering angle sensor and a temperature sensor!)

Grateful for any thoughts / suggestions. Would this be an expensive fix, or could it even be DIYed?

Best wishes,

D.

Interested in how he could tell the oil pressure is fine by looking onto the oil filter..lol.

I take its a red light coming up on the dash. Personally if its not easy for you to get the oil pressure checked bung a switch on anyhow, should be able to get one from any motor factors. Worth a go.

Hi

Yes I worked for the warranty dept. for a skoda dealer for 5 years.

The sensors are pretty renowned to go.

I think though the 3 sensors are the most common.

You can usually tell if there is a common fault on them if the old parts have been superceeded.

But after them 3 sensors you should be fine.

The Yaw angle sensor is the most expensive but the oil sensor is not that bad.

But just keep checking the oil level before you drive just to check that all is good.

On the Classics there was a problem with head gaskets though , could be worth checking that.

A call to the dealer should be able to let you know whether this had been done in the past and get it checked.

The front head bolts on a few went through without the correct torque on them.

Hello all ...

... this is all very useful. Perhaps Skoda should sell a gift set with the three sensors in it?! Haha.

Anyway, I have delegated getting the car taken to the garage to my wife tomorrow. She had a day off to go shopping, but I think a drive to Sidcup Auto Centre will be a far better use of her time. Haha.

I shall let you all know the official diagnosis.

BTW - do you think cars have feelings? This fault occured as we were coming home from Elmside Garage in Beckenham yesterday having been looking at a rather nice black Octavia 1.9 TDI Elegance which we are thinking of part-exchanging to. I think my Fabia is sulking. :rolleyes:

Hello again,

Well - none of our local Skoda garages could do this until late next week, so I have ordered an oil pressure sensor / switch for a few pounds to fit myself (given that this seems to be the likely cause).

I did something like this on my old Favorit some years ago and recall it was just a case of unscrewing the existing one from the engine and then screwing the new one in (+ connecting the lead). Can anyone guide me to exactly where it is on the engine?

Thanks,

D.

BTW - do you think cars have feelings? This fault occured as we were coming home from Elmside Garage in Beckenham yesterday having been looking at a rather nice black Octavia 1.9 TDI Elegance which we are thinking of part-exchanging to. I think my Fabia is sulking.

yes I do, my mother just sold her Rover 214, the day before the guy was meant to come a collect the water cooling pipe burst spilling it's guts all over the place :rolleyes: I think it was upset about being sold!

It was indeed the oil pressure switch - bought and delivered first class from Butt's of Bawtry for

4363.attach

• 11 months later...

Thanks a million for the info given in the posting above. Had the same problem with the oil light coming on for no apparent reason and changing the oil pressure switch fixed it.

• 2 years later...

I'm in the middle of trying to change my oil pressure swicth (appreciate the photo above). Does anyone know how to remove the plastic cap that the wire is attached to? I'm struggling to get it off.

Thanks

I've not looked at this switch, but seeing as most of these sensors have similar connector types, have a look at the new switch and you will probably see protrusion on it for latching the connector onto, if this is so then the connector will have a slightly "flexible" release/locking tag which needs to be eased back as the connector is push further onto the sensor, then while holding this release/locking tag back, just pull the connector off. Obviously the connector just needs pushed on the new sensor until it "clicks" after you have screwed the new sensor in.

• 1 year later...

Thanks a million. Had the same problem with the oil light, beeping hell... actually the oil pressure switch has a wire broken, so just changing the oil pressure switch fixed it.

Fellow Members,

As i was driving past a curve last night, there was a beep and i saw this Engine oil pressure light come up. It beeped for some seconds and then went off.

I was a bit surprised and so i checked my oil level the next day morning before taking my car and it was all fine.

Again, the same things happened two times, and this happens only when i am taking sharp bends and if the car is going bit fast.

Looks like a warning light for sharp bends :)

Have anybody come across this situation? Now i am driving slowly in the bends :) but then i am wondering what might be the cause and impacts?

any advice and help is much appreciated.

cheers, nebu

• 10 years later...
On 03/05/2005 at 11:03, dunder101 said:

Hello again,

Well - none of our local Skoda garages could do this until late next week, so I have ordered an oil pressure sensor / switch for a few pounds to fit myself (given that this seems to be the likely cause).

I did something like this on my old Favorit some years ago and recall it was just a case of unscrewing the existing one from the engine and then screwing the new one in (+ connecting the lead). Can anyone guide me to exactly where it is on the engine?

Thanks,

D.

Take black cover off and near heat shield you see sense on right hand side it should be a black connection with one wire coming out just disconnect that n undo nut 

On 03/05/2005 at 11:03, dunder101 said:

Hello again,

Thanks,

D.

Please read above