NOISY ENGINE AND POWER LOSS (NEW MEMBER FIRST POST)

Hi all i have A Superb 2003 1.9 TDI PD engine 104 brake i think and only recently is has gotten to be very very noisy on idle .. also when driven there is a significant power loss .... my mechanic who is a friend and i trust has told me it may be the injectors or the flywheel .. both problems will be costly to repair so i was wondering if anyone had any experience of this .. there are no fault codes coming up .... my mechanic will be putting 4 injectors in on monday and a new wiring loom .. if that dosent fix it he said to go for a flywheel conversion from the dual mass to the single ..would a flywheel problem cause the engine to lose power ???i would appreciate it if someone had an answer for me thankis Jay

Get a proper mechanic who can diagnose problems properly with the aid of the VAG dedicated software, rather than throwing expensive parts at it.

Bosch PD injectors virtually never fail. Has the engine been operated with the correct oil? A look at the camshaft might be interesting...

rotodiesel.

Hi there,

it is possible that one of rubber connections has a split in it.

last week I had a similar problem, loss of power and unsteady run of the engine to around of 1500 rpm, and a lot of BLACK SMOKE !!

The computer said it is the air inlet valve, changed it, no result.

Personal inspection with a knowing friend shown that the intercooler-kompressor conector had a split. We wrapped it with a good fiberglass tape, gave it a wire fret until the replacement arrives.

The noise may come from one of rhe rollers (the accesories rollers are first targets). I hope tih helps.

flywheel is a regular thing but would not cause powerloss per se. Injecters are doubtfully the issue. It sounds to me like a skipped tooth on the timing belt

Ive been using fully snythetic oil 5/40 .. had the timing belt changed 20.000 miles ago ..... today i noticed the blow out pipe that leads from air box to engine cover had completly snapped ..Ive taped it up until monday ...some power has been restored but defo still a sound which suggests the engine is mis timing and heaps of black smoke....what about the wiring loom do they give bother ... so these are bullet proof ??

that engine if its the pd 105 bhp, is the most reliable since the old 90 bhp pre pd one. Get the timing checked asap, thats where my money is, also check all the boost pipes all the way around the engine for splits or bad joints

Ill get him to check the timing on monday thanks .... got my friend to put foot on accelerator and there was no smoke and then suddenly a big big cloud of black smoke appeared .. also when driving it was smokey .. any ideas .. still very rattley especially when in the lower gears and not much power in lower gears either

Was the cam .. ty for all your replies .. driving like a new car

What was the cost for the cam? Did they do lifters as well? And how much effort was it for them to diagnose the cam?

I've got Skoda extended warranty and wanted them to check mine out but I don't know what to expect in terms of labour for the investigation (you have to pay for that yourself). If the investigation is massive then it might not be worth doing it via warranty.

Thanks

James

Im a taxi driver and my car has 150k on it so no warranty !! lifters im not sure what they are .... my mechanic is a personal friend and sourced a nearly new one for me and installed it for next to nothing so im afraid i wouldent be best experienced to answer your question .. he changed lobes .. tappets and cambelt i think and its driving like a new car .... he showed me the lobes .. completly wore down...

my car was very very smokey ... very very noisy sounded like a tractor and injector mis timing also very juttery in lower gears .. drove ok when up through the gears but took a while .. also fuel consumption wasn t good at all .. hope you get yourself sorted

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid; mine is only a little noisy between 2.5 & 3K RPM. If I listen really carefully I can hear a very faint "knocky" sound under the engine noise at idle but not having had a 1.9PD before don't know what is normal (I understand it is "agricultural" as far as recent diesels go. It doesn't sound really much different to my dad's 1.9PD A3.

Having said that I got into a 1.9PD Roomster the other day; that really did sound like a tractor in the cabin! Oh the joys of soundproofing. Glad you are sorted anyway.

The problem with the cam and lifters is Skoda in there infinite wisdom fitted a soft cam instead of a hardened version, I had my cam go at 200,000 ,mech fitted a hardened cam and lifters £600 all in