Octavia 1.6tdi DSG intermittent starting issues

Hi,

I have an 16 month old Octavia 1.6tdi DSG with 11000 miles on the clock. Around two months ago, the car started to be intermittently reluctant to start from cold. It still starts on the first turn of the key, but cranks for a far longer time than previously and splutters/almost starts then cranks again before getting going. If I switch the car off after a few seconds of it running, and then start it again, it starts absolutely fine as I would expect.

It is on a variable service plan; however, because I was worried, I took it into Central Skoda in Birmingham to have them look at it, and figured I may as well pay for a service whilst it was there - as I only keep the car until first MOT - they only usually need one service in my ownership.

They said they would look at it but could not find any problems whatsoever. Anyone else had similar, or any suggestions as to what might be at fault?

Thanks!

Similar problems when forgetting I am driving a diesel car and not a petrol one, and should allow a couple more seconds before switching the engine on.

Other than that never a starting issue.

Hope is not something to do with the b..... filter.

I always wait for the glow plug lamp to extinguish before starting. Is there any need to wait longer - i.e. do the glowplugs continue to pre-heat the engine after the light goes out?

Dropping it back to Skoda Tuesday night, so they can cold-start it Wednesday morning. Guaranteed it'll work perfectly for them!

What is the filter that I don't want it to be anything to do with?

I always wait for the glow plug lamp to extinguish before starting. Is there any need to wait longer - i.e. do the glowplugs continue to pre-heat the engine after the light goes out?

No, and you'll probably find that the glowplugs aren't actually coming on at all at this time of year in any case. They aren't needed in mild weather. The glowplug light still comes on for a second as an ECU self-test function but it doesn't necessarily mean that the glowplugs are operating.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you ever get this sorted, I've been having the exact same problem in colder weather for the past month or so. Now the weather is warming up it's not as bad.

It is idling higher than it used to when I first start it to. Last year at these temperatures it was starting and then idling around 750RPM straight away. Now when I start it, it idles at around 950RPM until I move then by the end of the road drops to 750RPM.