Ap's Vw Beach Buggy

apmaman

you dont need to pay road tax? or... youl always get more smiles per miles than any other car!?

you can get long wheel base models so plenty of room for little uns. alot less work too as its a straight swap from the old beetle shell to the new fibreglass tub. unlike mines which is the 'classic' style of a shorter wheelbase by about a foot and a bit. thats a proper pro job to cut it out and shorten everything to go along like gear linkages and all the pedal cables etc etc etc.

Unfortunatly ive not got many pics as its still not mot'd so not really had many chances to take pics.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a number of these in warmer climes,including a pick up version complete with sheep rails ! Be warned though,they have one quirk which can be lethal. Given half the chance they will spin 360' and then some. A wet road and a rounabout are the ideal conditions to find yourself facing the other way. My son returned home wise eyed one night having spun around twice and ended up facing the vehicle behind him. They also nose dive under heavy braking with another excuse for the back to come around. Apart from that they will go almost anywhere with the tyres deflated and are pretty tough in an accident. Left mine out in the rain one night only to find it half full of water in the morning.Actually had to bail it out.Started first kick and off I went,no probs.Good fun all round.

• 3 weeks later...

yes i know what you mean about wet roundabouts. nearly lost it when i first picked it up giving it a wee razz but luckly was an empty road.

gotta be on your toes in the wet! but wet sands a hoot!

i find the brakes to be pretty good even though its drums all around. suppose the cars only ~500kg. the nose diving is interesting as its not really noticable on modern cars. im waiting to put dropped spindles in so will be a bit more noticable.

was yours the ldv style?

as for the project ive added in some baffling exhaust wool but its about as useful as tits on a fish. but hey if the 5-0 stop me i at least have some excuse that ive tried to quietin it.

really just got the spindles to go and then repaint the wheels for it to be finished....

i do have plans to make my own removable hard top and add in the big spot lamps ive got. they look silly on the front bumper and the soft top wont fit if theyre on the rollbar... something to work on this winter i think..

• 1 month later...

Sorry bit late with the response. Yes mine was an Ldv style with removable doors.and sheep rails at the back.Very nice for taking the dogs to the beach.Also had a conventional swb with removable hard top and 1600cc twin port motor with twin choke Weber carb.Very nice to drive but a mother to climb in and out of.The roof is low and with the tub sides was a tight fit.Wifey refused point blank to even try and get in.Shame really. :giggle:

haha i know what you mean about getting in the car. almost impossible to get in/out with any dignity!

i think im gonna build another after uni from scratch. got lots of ideas for number 2 :-D

• 5 months later...
Says it all.... Wiring and those "unique" postures buggy builders seem to get themselves into....

10153982_10153982996610029_2521041692677

I have been fiddling about more with a dwell meter I got a loan off a work bud. My dwell reading is spot on at 44°  but the tacho says 1800 rpm but I think its a bit high, doesnt sound that when its idling.. I do have a 52mm pod one coming I am going to install inside the engine bay so making tune ups a bit easier knowing what rpm the engines at. 

My oil pressure also starts at about 2 bar then steadily drops, the oil pressure light isnt on but it sits about 1 bar which seems a bit low... 30psi to about 15psi in old money. Still to put in the temp sender as the sump bolt. 

click to play

th_video-2014-04-07-13-15-07_zps2l1udwtl

I'll do anything to avoid revising for my exams next week....

Got my wee RPM gauge fitted inside the engine bay, so I can hold the revs at fixed rpm's and adjust the mixture to remove any pops bangs and missfires. Seems to be great up to 3000rpm now, but if thats the same when its under load, who knows!  ::)

god bless the person who invented cable ties! 

10003484_10153989463050029_6891758781506

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well all finished. Drives great, bit too much +ve camber but thats due to the coil over suspension, going to get rid in the future. Something to ask Santa for ;) 

Had a bit of a tidy up with the wiring, added in a fuel king filter & pressure regulator. 

Yahoo! 

1404323973605_zpsakgwghg_edit_1404328813

1404327378224_zpsg48pjab9.jpg

1404128724684_zpspsjps3rr.jpg

So the list at the start of the thread?

To Do:

Fix indicator stalk, turns with wheel activating indicators when not needed DONE
Fix Rev gauge (works on idle) Removed
Fix Oil Pressure gauge (works at ignition but intermittent failure while driving) DONE
Fix Fuel Gauge (Worked on first fill up, but stuck at just above red) DONE
New window wiper & blade for passenger side (Done)
Address battery charging issue, seems like the dyno isn't charging the battery (Done)
Convert side lights to T10, 501, W5W bulbs for LED's DONE
Address potential tracking issues. Rear wheels look "off" STILL TO DO
Repaint engine bay tin ware and fan shroud DONE
Label all wiring and carry out repairs on worn or dodgie looking connections & general tidy up. DONE
De-Rust and paint drum brakes DONE
Pressed metal plates Rear Done
CD player Done
12v Accessory port Done
Exhaust baffles Done
Oil Breather filter replacement instead of hose connecting to carb filter for neatness DONE (Decided to keep the pipe)

Want:

Add single or twin "cooling fans" inside engine bay to cool while sitting in traffic
New indicator stalk
Re-Paint body DONE
Re-Paint wheels DONE
Re-wire DONE 
New Seats (heated)
New exhaust system, twin motorbike cans
New dash layout with illuminated switches DONE
Alternator Conversion DONE
Front brake disc conversion
Easy Access Jump lead connections
"Blower Scoop" intake for twin carbs
Strip gearbox, solve first gear niggle DONE (was gear linkage)
Strip carbs and set up on rolling road (DONE, but no rolling road)
Convert all lights to LED or projectors. 
New type 3 oil intake thingy mabober DONE
Yellow distributor cap and leads (thought against it due to poor quality caps)

Not too bad I think. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wired up the little spots on the rear to the brake lights. Not entirely sure I like them there, but adds a bit of character and uniqueness which is always good. Gonna be jacking it up and painting the underside with more hammerite. Collected all my tins and poured them to make one whole tin haha! so will keep me busy for a few days. Got my daily driver to do as well, 10 years old and the underseal protection has gone, waxoyl for this one. 

20140719_172425_RichtoneHDR_zpsvqop380u.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, I used to have a T1 back in the day, so a few words of help (hopefully).

0) This is that important. Sort out the rear camber. Your rear spring rates are probably too high, which is making the car sit too high with it being lighter.

1) Ok, I know you've deleted it, but you don't need a rev counter on these engines; they can't rev high enough to cause damage.

2) That fan assembly you've got should be adequate, at least as long as you still have the original oil cooler. Find pics of a 1960s T1 1500, and look at the solid engine cover, and how much tinware shrouding there is around the cylinder barrels.

Yeah I think its because its got coil overs on it which are way to stiff for a buggy. Not so bad with a beetle with all the weight of the body etc but new standard shocks are on the cards.