What is a GS81?

Hi Guys

garage have phoned to say I need a new GS81 sensor on my 1.6 TDI CR90.

Does anyone know what this sensor is - and what it does. I cannot get any info online at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Just noticed that I quoted 'GS81' - whereas you responded with 'G81'.

Have I misquoted the message that the garage left on ans machine?

As a point of interest, I tried many sites on the net to get this info, but without success. Can someone direct me to a site where I can get this information. Following a spate of recent warning light problems and getting home in limp mode on several occasions - I need to get a little more clued up on all these sensors, and what they do.

Thanks

I would think that the message from the garage wrongly translated G581 to - GS81. (Easily done) I wont bore you with the full story - but details have been reported on this forum previously.

Thanks for your help - I will come to the forum again to report on the outcome of this latest 'repair' saga

Collected car this morning from dealers - they tell me they have fitted a new turbo.

I dont know how much these things cost (does anyone know?) - so am thankful that the car is still under warranty :sun: As I understand it - the sensor that was required comes with the complete turbo assembly. Lets hope that this once and for all cures the recurring intermittent problems I have had. Car just passed the 5000 mile mark this morning.

Now Wednesday, and have done approx 150 miles since collecting the car.

All was well until tonight :sweat:

After a short run locally, returned home, switched off in driveway.

Opened garage door - restarted and reversed into garage AND once again the glowplug light started continuous flashing. With just 5150 miles on the clock, I wonder if I have a case to reject the car as not being of marketable quality. I will give this one more attempt at the dealers, and will advise them of my total disenchantment with this car. Do you consider three attempts by dealer to rectify the problems as a reasonable time to nail the problem. I believe I have been patient enough

Depends if it's the same cause of fault or something else.

+1

A new turbo is expensive. It is usual to exclude the associated items first before replacing the turbo.

Whilst the fault codes give a good indication of what is wrong, there isn't a one-to-one correspondence between fault code and faulty component(s).

That is a common issue with any garage (dealer or otherwise) - the fault code tells what is playing up but not necessarily why. There isn't anything called a "turbo gummed up" sensor, but the effects will cause other feedback (i.e. sensors) to suggest other issues.

As per whats been said above.

People asume when there is a fault light on the dash you plug in and fix that can be case sometimes but not all the time,

Some times that light can be caused by a different issue and the light is merely a symptom of it.

This were the differnce of a good techincan and a great one are shown in my opinion.

Some times its all to easy to change the sensor shown.

Some time you to consider all angles.

For the above reason, i would allways advise anyone havin issues with a car to the best they can by giving the dealer as much information as possible, to allow them to replicate the issue or understand. Chances are if you hand them a car with a fault light with no info they will jus change a sensor, and this may not fi it.

I hope this makes sense to you lol

All the foregoing comments made are of course correct. A realist accepts that the glowplug light can be the indicator of diverse/various faults.

Despite all the work undertaken to date - warning lights have once again started to flash (yesterday).

Made a trip to the dealers this morning, who kindly put the diagnostic equipment on.

Once again, all the faults indicated (prior to the fitment of the turbo) are displayed as before. I am grateful to them for being open and honest about the current situation. Currently they are baffled - and have to justify the fitting of an expensive turbo to Skoda.

At least the faultlog confirms that I am not a timewaster - or have a vivid imagination!

Car booked in for next 'sort out' - they have advised they wish to keep it for a week.

Edited by 2ndskoda

I have some sympathy for dealers when it comes to warranty work - there's a set of guidelines based on the fault found which is (pretty obviously) replace the cheapest/quickest item first and see if the problem goes away. When I had problems with my Scirocco, the dealers basically acted as mules for the first 2 or 3 trips and send a log of the fault codes to VW; they said "replace this". Master Tech involvement was somewhat stifled. Only after it cost them a head rebuild and a new piston/liner did they let him have a few hours "grace" to proffer his suggestions as they were stumped. In the end it was the VW computer spitting out the wrong spark plugs come service time (since corrected). I'll give him his due - he said it was the plugs overheating (that was from less than 10 miles on a set of fresh ones). Computer said replace plugs, injectors (there was a dodgy batch fitted at some point)....plugs...plugs....VW even made me wait whilst they replaced the ECU along the way!

Its infuriating, I know - especially when the same symptoms reappear. Been there, got the t-shirt, even had a hire car from VW themselves twice...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this Monday the car was returned to the dealers again for further investigation etc.

Note that within the last month the turbo has been replaced (together with the sensor etc)

Dealer rang me today to keep me abreast of developments. All the diagnostic data has been relayed to Skoda - and the dealer has again been instructed to replace the turbo + sensor. In addition they have been instructed to replace the wiring to the turbo sensor.

I will certainly be glad when this business is finally nailed (I miss the Fabia)

Currently charging around in a Citigo courtesy of Dealer/Skoda - must admit it is a 'good city car'

Car went into dealers again on Monday 17th. Collected Friday 21st. This time again their attention was in the turbo area - the airpressure sensor and its associated wiring.

Will see what happens. The fault from the start has been intermittent!