Boot protection advise seeked

I cant understand why people EVER want to add things like this to their car.

First, I guess the reason for you to add this is you want to prevent scratches etc?

Well, how about just standing 1 inch further away from the bumper? This is the only way to prevent a scratched up rear bumper.

Are you really aware of how much scracthes you make, by rolling these things over the bumber when it is dirty? Even if it doesnt look dirty, there will garanteed be dust, and perhaps also small, small rocks, sitting in the paint. Even the slightest movement of your roll out thing will create millions of small scratches.

Just use a flashlight, and have a look after using it for a couple of weeks....

I cant understand why people EVER want to add things like this to their car.

First, I guess the reason for you to add this is you want to prevent scratches etc?

Well, how about just standing 1 inch further away from the bumper? This is the only way to prevent a scratched up rear bumper.

Are you really aware of how much scracthes you make, by rolling these things over the bumber when it is dirty? Even if it doesnt look dirty, there will garanteed be dust, and perhaps also small, small rocks, sitting in the paint. Even the slightest movement of your roll out thing will create millions of small scratches.

Just use a flashlight, and have a look after using it for a couple of weeks....

I guess you don´t have kids or a wife that drives the car.

I guess you don´t have kids or a wife that drives the car.

I have both. Including a dog that is also in the car with us.

My girlfriend drives our second car, a 07 VW Touran, and that got polished so good you wouldnt even belive it. 0 scratches on the rear bumber. After she had driven it a few times, I could see that see had been touching the bumper with her knees when it was dirty. I took her out, and showed it to her, then washed the car, and took her outside again so she could see all the scratches she had created.

After that, she has never even came near the bumber.

I might be lucky with my girlfriend, and kid though, but they seem to understand that a car actually do get scratches unless you are carefull with it.

Either way, the point was that the thing you roll out of your car to protect the bumper actually destroys more than it protects in the long run.

Either way, the point was that the thing you roll out of your car to protect the bumper actually destroys more than it protects in the long run.

Sorry, but you are wrong. I bought a boot liner from http://www.hatchbag.co.uk/ to protect the inside from my mountain bike and it works a treat. Came back from the Lakes on Saturday with 2 very muddy and gritty bikes which I unloaded without adding any further scratches to the one I had already caused before I got the liner. The only downside is you have to remove the lash mounts and divider but for me that is not an issue..

I guess people are different ;) I would never, EVER, put a dirty MT bike inside any of my cars. :)

Me neither...that's what my roof rails are for...had 3 bikes up there on Monday when doing the Monsal Trail in Derbyshire.

• Like 1

Me neither...that's what my roof rails are for...had 3 bikes up there on Monday when doing the Monsal Trail in Derbyshire.

Careful not to get scratches on the roof from all that Peak gritstone ;)

I prefer to keep the bikes inside the car, saves the mpg and also more secure for a post ride pint. Just out of interest how does the mpg work out with the bikes on the roof?

I have the panoramic sunroof so most of the roof is glass...easy to keep an eye on the bikes!!

Not sure about effect on mpg as I didn't notice what the trip mpg was...but I have noticed a slight increase when going on holiday before (also have caravan attached). I can always lock the bikes to the rails for security which I couldn't do with my old Vectra as it had flush rails.

Much easier to keep the bike in the car, security being the main focus when working away from home staying in hotels etc (it's easier to load as well). The Rhino liner extends up the sides of the boot and is shaped like a bucket, with a flap for the bumper, I use an old sleeping bag on top of the liner to absorb any mud and water and once it's dried out it gets shaken off, the liner comes out in 2 mins for a shake and a wash down every now and again.

That's a good tip for the old sleeping bag GLT. A really cheap option for a boot liner is a patio furniture cover which is typically bucket shaped so helps keep all the crud from escaping into the car.

My girlfriend drives our second car, a 07 VW Touran, and that got polished so good you wouldnt even belive it. 0 scratches on the rear bumber. After she had driven it a few times, I could see that see had been touching the bumper with her knees when it was dirty. I took her out, and showed it to her, then washed the car, and took her outside again so she could see all the scratches she had created.

After that, she has never even came near the bumber.

You are Christian Grey and I claim my £5.

She's a keeper because most women I know would tell you where to get off.