HOWTO: Replace Rear Discs & Pads (Octy Mk1)

thesquiff

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide m8, thought you're ment to clean the face of the hub before fitting the new discs tho?

Sent from my Galaxy S2 not a Crapple!

Yeah that would sound sensible. I'm only a basic DIYer so always happy to gather advice from others.

• 4 months later...

Great guide bud. Mine just failed on rear discs and a coil spring. Parts for 56 sheets and saved a bundle on labour!

I encountered the following which may help out others:

Disc locking screw seized on one side - Drilled out the head of the screw and jobs a good un (I'll replace it when I get round to it).

The first caliper rewind, took ages and the tool slipped several times as I was holding with the left hand and turning with the right. On the other side, I re-fitted the caliper minus the disc and pads allowing me to use the rewind tool with the caliper held securely in its housing; two hands on the turning end was a lot easier and saved a bundle of time.

The coil spring was just a case of jacking both sides up, removing the shock bolts and carefully lowering the rear wishbone using a jack on each side until the old spring could be pulled out.

Just got to see if it passes the re-test now

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple of more helpful tips:

1. I would not recommend compressing the piston with a g-clamp on a handbrake caliper due to the washers, circlips, bearings and screw mechanisms within the piston and caliper housing (these can be easily damaged).
  2. When winding the piston in to the caliper, wind the piston all the way in and continue another turn and then wind back by half a turn, this sets the self adjust mechanism in the caliper and ensures that the caliper self adjusts with pad / disc wear. Also if not set properly, you may find that when you actuate the piston hydraulically or mechanically, the piston will move out but then fully retract back in to the caliper.
  3. When the caliper is removed, check the condition of the slide pins, make sure they are clean, straight and undamaged and replace if required. Apply brake grease on the slide pins before you reattach the caliper and make sure the caliper can slide freely.
  4. Calipers which do not slide freely can cause pads to not fully retract from the disc, this micro drag is a major cause of disc warpage and judder and in extreme cases, this causes the pad material to breakdown and bond to the disc surface, resulting in reduced braking force.

I see these issues on a daily basis in my job.

• Like 2