VRS engine coolant temp 85C - ok?

Jules59

Hi Everybody, I was test driving my son's VRS yesterday as he thinking of handing down to his younger sister. Its done 80K miles and appears to be running ok. The coolant temp gauge is rock steady on 90C but when I connected my reader to the OBD (Torque Pro on my Android phone) the coolant temp reads 85C which seems a bit low to me. It varied by 3 degrees (84 -87) doing the test. Its the original thermostat and the engine is standard. As far as I know MPG is OK but Ive not confirmed that myself.

Is this temp OK or should I change the thermostat?

Its been utterly reliable (touch wood, hence the desire to keep it in the family. It drives and stops well - it had the TT brake upgrade and a rear ARB many years ago. It had a new clutch and DMF last year. It needs a new dogbone mount though.

It's fine. The VAG temperature gauges are engineered to be a bit dishonest. When in the acceptable range they stay on centre / 90 even though the real temperature is constantly varying - supposedly to stop us being concerned (!). 85C is OK and a new thermostat won't make any difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...