Car sales Top 20 in Denmark - August 2012...

pixel_viking

Thought somebody might find this interesting:

Car sales are up 8.5% this August over last August. Micro cars are selling like crazy. Denmark has a population of roughly 5.5 million - 1/10th of England. So it should be easy to compare if someone has the same numbers for England. 1.375 UP!s in one month is the highest number ever sold of one model in one month.

7.750 sold cars in total in the top 20 - this is 57% of all cars sold in Denmark for the month of August.

I'm surprised that the Mii is selling better than the Citigo. Seat is not a big brand in Denmark.

1 VOLKSWAGEN UP! 1.375

2 TOYOTA AYGO 776

3 PEUGEOT 107 603

4 CITROEN C1 455

5 VOLKSWAGEN POLO 441

6 KIA PICANTO 440

7 SEAT MII 417

8 SKODA CITIGO 358

9 KIA RIO 328

10 PEUGEOT 208 320

11 OPEL CORSA 261

12 FIAT PANDA 258

13 RENAULT CLIO 239

14 CHEVROLET SPARK 237

15 HYUNDAI I10 235

16 RENAULT TWINGO 217

17 FORD FIESTA 216

18 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 210

19 SUZUKI SWIFT 183

20 HYUNDAI I30 181

Edited by pixel_viking
  • Like 1

Interesting

What's the rough cost difference between Skoda and VW and seat

I read somewhere that Skoda had given you guys extra capacity at factory as Italy and southern states had poor sales

Maybe like the UK you have a lot of factory orders

Price in DKK / GBP (for the cheapest model) - but models and standard features are different from the UK.

Seat Mii 79.900 / 8.653

Skoda Citigo 84.900 / 9.195

VW UP! 89.991 / 9.746

I heard about the extra capacity given to us as well.

Sorry to be cheeky what is the average wage in Denmark ??

Nothing to be sorry about. The numbers are available online :)

Gross National Income (GNI) per capita

Denmark: USD 59.130

United Kingdom USD 45.390

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_GNI_(nominal)_per_capita Not sure how up to date they are.

I guess one would ask why we buy that many small cars, when the average income is higher than in the UK.

One answer is that more expensive cars cost even more money due to higher taxes. Citigo car tax is 105% - slightly more expensive cars have a 180% car tax. VAT is 25%.

• Like 1

I have been to Copenhagen 3 times & really like the city.

I knew from having spoken to someone on the plane when going to Copenhagen, who was gong home that car tax was astranomical compared to UK, & its only if the car is being used for business ( i.e a Taxi that you can get any tax breaks on it).

What does surprise is that the VW UP sells so many given its the most expensive of the 3, also that the Mii is cheaper than the CityGo, which is reverse to the uk.

Yes but you have a beautiful country to show for your taxes unlike here in blighty

I went to Viborg many years ago and the journey was lovely

Speak for yourself, we have one of the most beautiful countries in Europe in my experience. :p

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

The grass is always greener on the other side :D

From the best selling car blog http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2012/09/07/uk-august-2012-audi-a3-and-bmw-1-series-in-olympic-form/ it looks as if car sales in the UK in August was 59,433 units but the total sales for 2012 so far is 1,260,997 which sounds a bit odd. One of the numbers must be wrong or August was a month with far below average sales. July sales was 143,884 - so maybe August should be 159,433?

Car sales in Denmark in August was 13,654. UK population is roughly 11 times that of Denmark - 159,433 devided by 11 is 14,493. Sales in the UK would then be slightly higher per capita than in Denmark for August.

About the UP! selling better in Denmark than the Citigo and Mii - well VW is generally very popular here and the UP! has received a lot of good press. Citigo and Mii have been mentioned as a side note.

Mii is cheaper than the Citigo probably because Seat is seen as a 'cheaper brand' with lower quality than Skoda in Denmark. Skoda is also very popular, so Mii sales are probably only better than the Citigo's because of the 3 cars being that similar looking. But who knows...

• 1 month later...

October sales for Denmark - Citigo at number two - right after the Up!

1 VOLKSWAGEN UP! 1.481

2 SKODA CITIGO 936

3 TOYOTA AYGO 649

4 CITROEN C1 553

5 PEUGEOT 107 542

6 PEUGEOT 208 469

7 TOYOTA AVENSIS 392

8 RENAULT CLIO 382

9 TOYOTA YARIS 360

10 CHEVROLET SPARK 315

11 SEAT MII 310

12 PEUGEOT 206 269

13 FORD FIESTA 267

14 FIAT 500 257

15 FIAT PANDA 256

16 HYUNDAI I20 253

17 KIA CEED 240

18 HYUNDAI I30 231

19 CITROEN C3 227

20 FORD KA 224

21 VOLKSWAGEN POLO 217

22 SUZUKI SWIFT 214

23 OPEL ASTRA 206

24 FORD MONDEO 204

25 AUDI A3 197

From November, the Citigo prices were raised by around GBP 340. The Up! (and Mii) prices are still the same. It'll be interesting to see if this changes anything.

PS: Total sales were 15.216. So, thats 18% of all sales to the VAG triplets :) and 11% to the 'other triplets'. Crazy numbers...

Edited by pixel_viking

Very different here in Finland. There is no single citycar on our best selling 30-list. Longer distances than in Denmark? Citycars have never been too popular in Finland, except the original Mini in sixties.

Very different here in Finland. There is no single citycar on our best selling 30-list. Longer distances than in Denmark? Citycars have never been too popular in Finland, except the original Mini in sixties.

Most of Denmark is paved :), so I guess a small citycar is good enough here. You do have a lot more 'off-road' areas than we do.

I just checked the new price list. My Elegance Greentech 60 3dr model actually went up by DKK 5100,- or GBP 545,-. (The VAG triples just won 'Car of The Year' in Denmark, but only the Citygo price changed so far).

Perhaps it's because you don't pay our astronomical registration taxes. I love our Citigo but we'd have bought an Octavia or Superb if not for the 200 % tax rate.

Edited by Rothbard

This country went down hill quickly in 1997

1997? Really? I thought all the steelworks, mines and lots of manufacturing companies closed in the early 1990s under Mrs.T's great leadership. Please be aware that not everyone in the UK wants to be ripped off by deregulated business practices :devil: