2005 1.6fsi, Engine Rev 3000 in 5th gear at 70mph? is that right

Hi,

Bought the 2005 Octavia 1.6 fsi (91000miles) for two weeks now. Being only done town driving and backroads, didn't come to this before. Yesterday at a section of dual carriageway, engine rev to just over 3000 at 70mph in 5th gear. My previous car is a 2.0 diesel, so much lower rev in same situation.

Is that right for the size of this engine? or I should go checked by garage for something wrong(like engine, clutch)?

Thanks in advance.

Would imagine that is right.

My wife had a 1.6 petrol Focus before that had 5 gears - dear god it could have done with a 6th. Revs were 3K at 70 too or something similar.

Edited by g_tee

Sounds about right for a small petrol engined non turbo car. If you think of it as a percentage of max rpm it is about the same as a diesel doing 2k at 70 mph assuming it revs out to about 6500.

My 1st car, Kia pride with a 4 speed box was doing 3500 at 60 :whew: