Turbos letting go - so many lately, why?

bonesetter

My vrs had its turbo changed before it was 3 years old! I've had it just Over a year it's getting a bit more whistly (not a word but ho hum) I don't want to look and see what it was replaced with. Just waiting for it to pop!

I think it must have something to do with people.

how many people are going to start a thread just to say their car has been fine throughout their ownership?

I had my car on the original turbo for over 100k, only when it broke did I bother posting about it!

like Matt says, look after it and they go for a fair while!

I think you are right Jake, add to that the confusion of thinking low miles = car will last forever

I think a car used for 2000 miles a year but day in day out has just as much likelihood as turbo failing (or more) as say, my car which has cranked up 100k over 6 years.

Not only has it been warmed up and run for longer without stop start effect on the turbo, but it has actually had more changes too in the same time frame if you think about it (even though the running time of the engine itself is longer).

So it pretty much balances out so I wouldn't expect the lower mileage car to work out that much different to the higher one. In fact I wouldn't pay more to trade for a lower miles one of the same age.

Perhaps people should factor in the age of their car for components like Turbo moreso than miles as the mileage can be a false indicator of the wear and tear on specific components (although on bushes etc is a different story)