VRS PD 170 EGR problems

sri16v

Ive had my VRS since may, and over the past couple of months it has been stuttering/hesitating under full throttle, it started off that it would only happen occassionally but its now happening everytime I drive it.

I cleaned the egr valve out last weekend, was full of soot, drove it for a week and it was perfect no more stuttering or hesitation. Yesterday however its back and worse than ever, was really pressing on down country roads and full throttle coming out of bends and the engine would die then come back and so on, it also does it at light cruise on the motorway.

Any solutions to this problem? should I clean it out again and fit a reducer gasket or get an egr delete kit?

Dreading having to overtake anything incase it happens

thanks

• Like 1

Mine has been doing this for a few weeks now, only under hard acceleration and it's starting to get on my wick!! Mine has done 99,000 miles and has had the DPF removed and I've done most of those miles myself, so I'm guessing it needs a clean. Is it any easy job to do? I'm getting rid of the car soon for a new one but I'd like it fully sorted before that happens.

Fitz

You could consider an EGR delete kit, that would sort the issue once and for all. I have one from Darkside that I'm very happy with, and far happier than I was with the first one I tried from 'another company'.

It will throw up a CEL light though, which can be mapped out. For example Fitz, Jabba could tweak your map for you to sort this.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk

You could consider an EGR delete kit, that would sort the issue once and for all. I have one from Darkside that I'm very happy with, and far happier than I was with the first one I tried from 'another company'.

It will throw up a CEL light though, which can be mapped out. For example Fitz, Jabba could tweak your map for you to sort this.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk

Cheers Wardy, I went out to have a little look this morning but gave up after a dropped the torx key into the engine bay; I had to remove the undertray to retrieve it again !!! I can't see how it comes out of the car as there is hardly any room to manoeuvre and that big solid pipe to the right of the valve just would not budge out of the way. If I was keeping the car or it was an easy task I'd consider getting the delete valve but hopefully it will be gone by the end of the month.

Fitz

Hi, are you sure it's not DPF problems?

Yes pretty sure its not dpf problems, havent ever seen the light come on, but wont rule it out.

Car totally died today, loss of power in all gears, had to come to a stop and restart. was fine starting but still having the same problems. I made a reduced size gasket amd fitted it, but still the same problems, going to take the egr off and clean it again