The red warning light for steering came on last night in my 3year old 1/4TSI Octavia - i was completely unable to turn the wheel (feel locked, not just 'heavy' due to no power steering).

This exact same thing happened to me 2years ago and a major fault was discovered and entire steering track was supposedly replaced. Does anyone have any ideas about why this could have hapened again and what to do?

My guarantee has run out but I took extended covered via WarrantyWise so I'm hoping that they'll cover any work/checks I need carried out.

Many thanks indeed for any guidance!

PS - if you know of any good independant garages in Glasgow area then please do let me know as I'll need someone to check this out!

Edited by cappucino5

When you had parts replaced did it cost you anything, even a tiny amount? If not and they did the whole lot for free (warranty or good will) then you get no guarantee - zero, zip. Personally I think it's a way that they can do a bit of a crap job and not be held accountable especially on things like bodywork where they're not just bolting a new part on.

I've had a new rack but it wasn't seized just noisy - knocking when rocking the steering wheel and going over bumps at low speed.

Best thing is to get a diag done to see if it's the angle sensor that's failed. But the wheel should still turn without the sensor - mine did whilst that light was lit up.

Thanks all

Think it's mechanical since steering actually locked but going to get checked out. Problem is that light didn't stay on after I turn engine on and off so likely that diagnostic won't fnd anything since light only on for short period of time...

• 7 months later...

I had a problem in that car would not start and yellow power steering light was on. Also red power steering light came on intermittently.

The engine was not turning over, just getting a type of clicking sound.

I jump started the car after 4 attempts and drove to halfords to get the battery checked.

The battery was totally dead and got new bosch battery fitted.

The p/s light went out within seconds of driving and all seems ok now

• 1 month later...

Steering on Octavia ll is not normal power assisted, it is electric steering. A motor on the rack turns the steering when it gets a signal from the column. There is of course a physical connection from steering wheel to rack but steering is very hard if the motor fails. It does feel that it is "locked" but you can steer it in an emergency though you would have difficulty in a swerve situation.

The reason it's so hard is that you are having to spin a worm drive motor backwards when you steer.

Only cure is a new rack (or recon).