Michelin PS3 V. Goodyear Eagle Assymetric 2 for 2011VRS TDI: Which is quieter?

Folks,

I am due to change all 4 tyres from the OEM Bridgestones Potenzas. I had Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on my last VRS (TDI, PD) and thought they were really good. I have noticed however that the Goodyear Eagle Assymetric 2's are getting great reviews and are said to be 2db quieter than the PS3's (69 v 71) which is a significant difference given an extra 3db is supposed to double noise levels. I am wondering is there anybody who has used both on their car and can let me know how they performed in terms of road noise? Thanks in advance.

Bif

Edited by Biffo

I replaced all four tyres a few week ago, I bought the car second hand with continentals and was a bit miffed at the road noise.

Changed to ps3's as i read these were more a comfort tyre but it's still there so I guess it's just a case of theres always gonna be some noise in a skoda with 18" wheels..

Except if your on the A1 near Leeds! I hit a stretch of motorway the other night that was blissfully smooth :D

I paid £135.00 per tyre fitted, and Michelin are doing an offer that runs until the end of the month, buy two 18's get a £50 fuel voucher

I put 2 sport 3's on the front of my car when the original premacys were done, bad mistake wish i had stuck to the premacy's they are a far better tyre than the sport 3. and according to michelin they are a lower spec tyre, my a**e.

I have had 4 Goodyear. Got 18,000 on the front, and swapped rear To front and put two new ps3 on the back so far done 5500 miles on that set up. Need to get fronts replaced soon. And I'm going for ps3's far nicer feel to the car, don't notice them any louder than the Goodyear. And the ps3's seem to be the better wearing tyre. In my opinion anyway.

I put 2 sport 3's on the front of my car when the original premacys were done, bad mistake wish i had stuck to the premacy's they are a far better tyre than the sport 3. and according to michelin they are a lower spec tyre, my a**e.

Not what I found. But each to there own.

Good point badger, i have friends that think im mad. but i felt the original tyre was way better and i felt more what the car was doing. as you said its each to there own. and i got about 30'000 miles out of them.

These threads always seem to go the same way - different people "rate" different tyres differently!

Somebody above mentions Continental's. I'm currently still on the same SC2's that came with the car, almost at 26k miles and there is still plenty of meat on them.

I find them grippy as hell and most importantly, quiet. So I'll be getting some SC5's once I eventually need some.

Folks,

Thanks for all the replies. I suppose it is subjective and maybe depends on how worn the tyres are but it comes back to the question; has anybody with a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3's changed to a full set of Goodyear Assymmetric 2's (or vice versa)and if so did they notice any difference in terms of road noise / comfort? Thanks again.

I used to put bridgestones on my old petrol VRS. Once I foolishly let a dealer put some P6000s on it because they had none of my choice in stock, and that was terrifying. I did have some 'Mabor' tyres on the back as a freebie and was very impressed - no performance issues and lasted forever. Not that I went and actually BOUGHT any though - when they eventually ran out I went straight back to the potenzas.

My current diesel VRS has galleons on the back which are not too bad, and Dunlop sport max(xxxx) on the front which are almost as bad as the P6000s were. In fact, they are probably worse but the derv doesn't have the grunt to show them up as badly I guess.

I'd say Bridgestone - but then again my main concerns are performance and wear (value for money). I'd like quiet tyres I guess but it's not something I really consider when buying as it ranks below the other two issues......

• 2 weeks later...

Went from PS3's to Eagle F1's. Found the Eagles slightiy noisier but not much in it TBH. Grip was better from a standing start on the Eagle F1's though - less prone to breaking away.