Diesel fuel quality; opinions wanted

I'm in the process of testing fuel from different suppliers in my 1.6 CR TDI, just wondered if others have found a particular fuel better than the others in terms of both mileage and performance.

• 3 weeks later...

After trying a couple of tanks of various different suppliers fuel shells diesel is by far the best for me, car seems happier and the MPG is good.

This morning I filled it with V-Power diesel and my Monte certainly likes that, power delivery is smooth and linear, throttle response feels sharper too. Its just a shame it was £1.51 a litre!

Have always run my cars on V-Power (or the previous slop - Optimax).

I tried all the other 'super' versions from Esso, BP & Texaco, and they made difference to performance or MPG.

That was the case for both the petrol I used in my old 440bhp vRS and diesel in the wife's 4x4.

Shell V-Power all the way!

Way back when I 1st started running TDI;s i kept a note of mileage for work and partly out of curiosity as the trip computer didn't show the MPG I knocked up a spreadsheet. I entered the number of litres i put in then the cost per litre and when the fuel light came on again the mileage. It then worked out the number of gallons the average MPG for the tank.

I discovered that while there was very little difference between my local Tesco BP and shell garages but Morrisons was down about 4 or 5 mpg on the rest of them. on the flip side it was 2/3p a litre cheaper.

I may need to reserect it at some point

Did you notice much difference between the standard diesel from supermarkets and posh diesel (shell, Texaco, esso etc etc)

For me standard Shell diesel gives 50-60 miles more per tank than any of the other fuels I've tested. Car did feel a little smoother also although that could just be placebo. However with V-Power the difference is very noticeable.

Never noticed a difference with 'super' diesel in my mk1 vRS. Petrol mk2 vRS definitely quicker and more economical with the posh stuff tho

I used to run high octane fuel in my Calibra as the old 2.0 litre lump ran loads better but in my 54 reg Astra H it didn't make the slightest difference. With the Monte though, V-Power diesel makes a vast difference, I'm not sure its going to help economy as it encourages a slightly more aggressive driving style but it certainly adds a smile ;)